How to handle misnamed recording on a release?

Hello. Total n00b here. I’ve got a question. When creating or editing a release, how does one handle misnamed recordings? Use the mistaken title listed on the physical release, or the actual song title? The particular issue I have in mind is the song Working in the Coal Mine written by Allen Toussaint, and recorded/released by Devo. This song is mistakenly titled Working in a Coal Mine on a number of Devo’s releases. However, the original release, Heavy Metal: Music From the Motion Picture uses the correct title, Working in the Coal Mine, as does the subsequent 7" single release.

Examples of releases with the incorrect title for recordings:

Duty Now for the Future / New Traditionalists
Hot Potatoes: The Best of Devo
Greatest Hits
Now It Can Be Told: Devo at the Palace 12/9/88
Hardcore Devo, Vol. 2: 1974-1977
Social Fools: The Virgin Singles 1978-1982

There are more, but as a n00b, I am only allowed 10 links per post. For the same reason, I am not listing the releases that use the correct title.

So, does one list/leave the incorrect title as that is the way the release was printed/created, or use the correct title for the song?

1 Like

Generally speaking:
We fix mistakes, and add a note to disambiguations (otherwise someone with the release will just change it back)

However for variations on a title (rather than something more annoying, like a typo) I personally usually just leave it. As long as the recordings are linked to the original work it’s kind of interesting to see how it’s been credited on different releases.

So up to you imo :grin:

1 Like

I could really see it going both was, depending on what one thought was more important, reflecting the way the release was printed (or whatever you want to call digital-only products), or properly attributing the song.

I was just ripping a new disc I bought and noticed the incorrect, depending on one’s point of view, title in the metadata.

OK. Now that I’ve spent all this time researching this one trivial issue, I’m burned out and may never contribute again. :crazy_face: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Just had a look and I added some track times in 2009, gave up/got distracted, added a release in 2010, gave up/got distracted, then something seems to have finally clicked in 2011 :joy: