How to handle indentatioin in track list where movement split across two tracks

I’m entering in a big Elgar release, and the booklet lists some tracks like this (please forgive any typos):

Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61
1  I.   Allegro
2  II.  Andante
3  III. Allegro molto —
4       Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

So Tracks 1–3 are easy enough: “Violin Concerto in B minor, op. 61: I. Allegro”. I’m not entirely sure what to do with Track 4; it seems there are a few options:

1. Violin Concerto in B minor, op. 61: III. Cadenza…
  2. Violin Concerto in B minor, op. 61: Cadenza…
  3. Violin Concerto in B minor, op. 61:     Cadenza…

I’m going to presume ③ (attempt to preserve the spacing) is out, but picking between ① and ② is harder. ① seems to come closer to the complete work title, so it’s what I’m going with for now. (Although I think I did a previous disc a different way…)

[Ok, there are probably a bunch more options, too. Feel free to suggest.]

[edit: fixed spacing in option 3—sorry, it showed in the preview!]

1 Like

Hi. It seems in this case the Cadenza is included in the third movement (at is is commonly the case). Track 4 contains the cadenza and then comes back to Allegro Molto (probably the same theme as in track 3).

For this reason, I’d leave the “III” indication and go for your first option:

Violin Concerto in B minor, op. 61: III. Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

ps: I don’t see the difference between your options 2 and 3.

Sorry about that, fixed.

OK I can see it now. Then, I really dislike option 3 :wink:

1 Like

I feel this option makes the most sense when movement is split into parts. Track titles are often used as recording titles and when a work has multiple cadenzas (or same tempo markings or titles for parts) recording title wouldn’t be that informative without the number.

Sounds like everyone agrees with repeating the number. Not sure if this is common enough to be added to Style / Classical / Track Title - MusicBrainz but if so, possibly something like (italic indicating changes):

Similarly, for operas, oratorios, cantatas and other works divided in acts/parts, do mention the act or part on all tracks, not only the first track of each one. Similarly, if a numbered movement is split into multiple tracks, repeat the number for each track.

Although, that brings to mind, I’ve seen another style:

Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: IIIa. Allegro molto —
Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: IIIb. Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

if we don’t want people to do that (or variations), we should probably say so. Or alternatively, suggest doing it.

That is an interesting option, too. I don’t know how to decide :slight_smile: I would even add a space before a. b. like:

Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: III a. Allegro molto —
Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: III b. Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

I like the a. b. … option because with just the title you can still order the tracks properly. It can be convenient in some situations.

I would do this (with or without the spacing) and add an intermediate work level for the whole movement:

Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: III. Allegro molto — Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

EDIT - actually it is in MB like this:

so you could either create sub-works or make the recordings partial.

Another approach (also with partial recordings) is https://musicbrainz.org/release/7d4cb246-3203-45a6-9447-ff8afa3d8660
(Saint-Saens 3rd symphony). Other releases of this use the a/b approach or just repeat the movement number.
So no great consistency. I guess there is an argument in favour of “contd.” rather than a/b where the composer did not intend the parts to be separated.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I’m talking about the tracklist, not the Works entries…

So then you’d have something like

Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: III. Allegro molto — Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto: Allegro molto —
Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61: III. Allegro molto — Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto: Cadenza (accompagnata: Lengto) — Allegro molto

gets a little long, though.

1 Like