How to add custom tags to albums?

Hello, I am pretty new to Picard, so forgive me if this has been asked before or it’s super obvious.

But I’d like to add a custom tag for which country an artist is from, purely for my own organization. As well as possibly adding subgenres later. Would also like for disc subtitle to always be present.

Does anyone know how to do this? Whenever I click to add a tag, it never appears.

There is a tag for discsubtitle (see Basic Tags — MusicBrainz Picard v2.10 documentation) - and if you use separate folders for each disc, then you can add this to that part of the path part of your file naming script.

Getting artist country automatically is a bit harder, though the data is in the MB database. I wrote a plugin some years ago to populate the Artist Official Website tag, and (with hindsight) I now wish that I had written this in a more general fashion to populate a whole bunch of artist data - but it should not be that difficult to take the plugin I wrote and modify it to cache the entire artist response and then populate not only the Artist Website tag but also a bunch of other tags like Artist Country.

2 Likes

Following!

If anyone ends up managing to do this, I think I would use the tag also - I think of bands in terms of their country a lot, and would use it for sorting and browsing.

Not sure if this is 100% what you’re trying to do, but the following post might be helpful:

2 Likes