How should we handle doujin music?

Good call. I added RETRO FUTURE GIRLS as an example. (Aside: for track artists especially I’m trying to pick examples where we have all the cover art in MusicBrainz since it’s the best source to verify.) I also added a link to this page in Talk since it feels a bit meta for the page itself.

1 Like

I recently made an edit for this album because only 2/10 track titles were in Japanese, the rest were in English. But I‘m starting to doubt if this is the right thing to do for doujin albums.

In most cases I think it would be the correct thing to do, as per the style guidelines:

If several languages are used in the titles, choose the most common language. For releases where there’s an equal mix of two or more languages and hence no obvious answer, ‘Multiple Languages’ may be the best choice. But remember that it is quite common for languages to borrow words and phrases, and so “Je ne sais quoi” in an English title does not make something multiple languages, nor do a few English words in a foreign language title. (Some languages borrow quite extensively, and especially for Japanese, unless most of the titles are in other languages, Japanese is probably the best choice.)

But by changing it to English, I‘m pretty sure that would mean the track titles would have to follow English style guidelines, right? Which means the titles would have to have to follow proper English title rules (capitalization, spacing etc.) But I‘m not sure that should be the case for Japanese releases, even if all the titles are in English. But this would go against the current style guidelines.

What do you guys think? Whatever the case, it should probably be reflected on the newly created wiki page.

1 Like

I don’t particularly have strong opinions on the language/script data of releases. I also assumed previously that the script of accompanying data such as the booklet would be taken into consideration here, but according the the style guidelines it should not be, so :person_shrugging:. To me, your edit looks correct.

No, I don’t think doujin releases need special treatment here.

1 Like

Another question: for Touhou doujin albums in particular, I often see ZUN being credited as the composer for derivative works, even though he is already credited in the original works for which the derivative works are arrangements of / based on.

This is an error, right? I just want to make sure I haven’t been messing up releases this whole time by removing ZUN from the derivative works. So far I haven’t received any complaints about it, but it almost seems intentional with how often he is credited in derivative works, even though albums usually make it clear on the cover art that he composed the original work.

1 Like

I would say so, yes. There is no reason for the derivative work to give any credit to the original work’s composer outside of the work relationship, unless they directly contributed to the derivative. That said, I haven’t dealt with Touhou-related releases in quite a while and am definitely not on top of any current or recent standards.

1 Like

In most cases, this is because the derivative works explicitly credit ZUN as the composer. It’s also pragmatic; Picard for example will not follow the derivative work or arrangement of relations to fill in the composer field when tagging.

Releases credit ZUN, but in a way that makes it clear they mean for the original works. Typically you see it in the tracklist with the original works beside each track, and then ZUN will either be credited beside each original work, or credited once somewhere on the cover art, usually on the back or in the booklet.

Hierarchically speaking, it makes sense not to include ZUN in the derivative works. What if a derivative work has additional composition on top of the original? How do we differentiate who is the original composer and who is the new one in any given work when we put them both in the derivative work?

Picard not recursively following works is an application thing, not a database one. The database shouldn’t be structured to compensate for something that can be solved at the software level, e.g. plugins. I’m pretty sure there’s a plugin for classical music that does what you describe.