How often does the content "Missing MusicBrainz Data" page refresh?

Hopefully a simple question. :slight_smile:

Over the weekend I linked 60 or so missing MusicBrainz recordings to my listens using the new “Link With MusicBrainz” option. The recordings I linked are still visible in my Missing MusicBrainz Data page.

Do I have to wait for some time before the content of that page is recalculated? If so, how often does it refresh?

3 Likes

Hi! Due to various interactions of MSIDs and listens, it can take upto 15 days for an entry to entirely go away from that page and statistics. We intend to improve this to some extent in near future.

4 Likes

Good to know. Thank you.

One more thing… Does this period of up to 15 days you mentioned in your post apply also to recalculation of charts?

Recently I’ve done some experiments with importing scrobbles from Last.fm. They were all unsuccessful due to API errors, so I deleted all my imported listens. But I can still see the charts calculated from the data that was deleted.

1 Like

Recently I’ve done some experiments with importing scrobbles from Last.fm. They were all unsuccessful due to API errors, so I deleted all my imported listens. But I can still see the charts calculated from the data that was deleted.

I had issues with my a large portion of my initial import(~220,000) failing due to 503 errors myself

this comment on a bug report helped get mine all imported.

1 Like

Yes, I know of that bug report. There’s also another one regarding not handling Last.fm rate limit errors. Actually I gave up on the “official” Last.fm importer and created my own. Now I’m finishing work on a program for submitting my exported scrobbles to LB.

But I want to start from a clean state. For that I need my current (wrong) charts to reset, and that’s the reason I’m asking about the refresh period.

1 Like

Listens take upto 15 days to be deleted from stats. Newly added listens however usually appear in the stats in 1 day.

2 Likes

Hi, I have a few follow-up questions (I’m not the OP though).

1. Are there plans to reduce those 15 days/1 day wait-times? Because with Last.fm, it’s convenient to be able to add a scrobble and you get to see your stats updated instantaneously. Or is it a matter of resources (i.e. because this is a community-driven project running on donations) and therefore unlikely to be fixed any time soon?

2. What about newly-added listens from years ago? i.e. if I manually imported listens from 2019 through a Python script (NOT the official Last.fm importer). Do those take up to 15 days to show up in Charts as well?

2 Likes
  1. Resources are definitely an aspect both team wise and hardware resources wise. So we have to prioritise tasks. The current stats architecture of ListenBrainz would need a substantial rewrite to support near realtime stats. We have never explored how it would work out because it isn’t a priority. It may or may not need additional hardware resources.

I do have plans to reduce the 15 days wait time to 1 day for most purposes and it may be done soon unless I hit some implementation snags.

1. Newly added listens from years ago should appear in stats in 1 day. Otherwise, there’s a bug in LB.
5 Likes

@Alioth would GitHub - Coloradohusky/ListenBrainz_File_Parser: Parses database files from different music listen tracker applications, and imports them into ListenBrainz work? made it a while ago and it should still work to upload last fm data

1 Like

My exported Last.fm scrobbles are kept in tab-separated format compatible with lastscrape-gui tool, so I guess not. It would be easy to implement, though.

But I already finished writing my tools, so I’m all set (just waiting for the stats to clear after my recent experiments).

1 Like