How long does it take for info that is entered into the site to appear in Picard?

I started tagging my library and Picard’s been really useful. Some albums (or releases) are not available in site so I add them using the Add Cluster as Release plugin. I enter all information I can find and I said everything is good. But when I come back to Picard hoping all that info (I entered into the site) would be updated into the local files. But Picard acts like the Albums / Releases I just entered into the site does not exit.

I am a pretty new user. Is my contribution up for review? When will the info be available in Picard?

usually it will take a few hours (in my case a half a day) for new releases to show on Picard, but for autoedits it will show automatically. Just use refresh.

I find most new data appears in Picard straight away. It’s only really changed data that can take time - up to 6 days with the voting process. Look at your open edits (My data -> My open edits).

1 Like

If you add the disc ID for your CD, the MB release will be usable right away for CD lookup in Picard.

1 Like

When you do a cluster lookup it uses the search server.
This index is currently built every hour so it may not show up depending on what you are doing.

The best idea is to to to musicbrainz.org and find your new entry.
Drag and drop the url for the release into picard and this will bring up the url directly.

4 Likes

I am a noob, can you explain this part more clearly? I do see the tagger button on the webpage and when I click on it sometimes it appears on the Picard app but how do I tell it to write that album info to the cluster on my local disk?

Again these are the edits I made for a album. As per the rules it looks like it’s gonna take 6 days to be accepted and be reflected unto Picard?!!!

My workflow is if I see a mistake in MB tags I go to the website and change them and then ask Picard to reflect the changes to my local files. With this much delay (6 days?) maybe I should just correct my local files and move on… :expressionless: Any advice in this regard would be helpful.

I’m afraid we seem to be stuck with this. I agree that it is a major disincentive for people in making corrections. I did ask some time ago if it would be possible for one’s own edits to be reflected in Picard even if they were still pending on MB - assuming that one is logged in on Picard - see response here:- Personal interest in adding data - #14 by Freso
I must say that I was a bit disappointed that it fell into the “too hard” category and your experience just underlines my own impression that it is a barrier to a more active editing community.
EDIT: I would add, however, that it is also my view that it is still better to do the edit and put up with the wait, as then you have a back-up if your files get mangled and also others benefit from your effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is so my issue too. Kind of feel relieved that someone else understood this.

Maybe a plugin should help us. That takes in a “rgid” for the “cluster” and queue it in Picard itself and bring up a notification whenever it is approved on the site.

I can dream.

I can see you are a brand new editor, welcome to the site.
To reduce spam the edits you go will wait for 7 days before being applied.
You need to wait 2 weeks and have 10 accepted edits before you become a normal user where a majority of edits are applied automatically.

2 Likes

When you use picard, you need right click on the release and choose lookup in browser. The browser (chrome, mozilla, etc) will open and as long as you are logged in musicbrainz it will show you a small green Tagger button on the upper right side. You need to click that button to load the release on picard and manually dragging the track to the right title of the song on Picard and save it.

2 Likes

As a short-term fix, could there not be an addition to the webservice which returned the open edits for a user - basically the MBID and the new data?
One could then write a plugin for Picard to use this.

Another thought. How about an email being sent to a user when an open edit is approved (including expiring with no challenge)? That would prompt them to re-tag the release. (I would suggest including it in the account preferences page, along with the other emails you do get if someone votes against / leaves notes etc.)

2 Likes

Voted for that. What does it take for something to happen?
BTW I should have said that the webservice would need to return the deleted data as well as the old. I’ve added a comment to the ticket.

As a transitional (great) solution I do keep track of edited entities (for re-tagging in Picard) with some collections:
ToDo Picard: retag Cover Art

As long as there are open edits pending they are marked orange, which makes identifying simple when I step frequently through my collections. You could even subscribe to a collection. So you get notified when changes happen.

By the way: The seven days wait schedule saved me more than one times from terrible faulty edits. We are all humans and make mistakes…

1 Like

You create a collection for edited releases. Add releases to the collection after editing. Review the collection from time to time to see which releases are no longer orange. Then retag and delete them from the collection.
Is that right?
Seems like a reasonable method in the absence of the webservice/Picard fix, thanks.

Yes, that’s kind of my workflow to keep track (and don’t forget :wink: )

So I’ve created a collection for edited releases and another for edited works. Is there any merit in these being public vs. private?

I forgot to reply. This REALLY helped.

Thank you.

1 Like