How do i credit an artist

This is the ticket I was thinking of:

Discussion should really happen on the ticket, not here, anyway.

Update: actually, I did create a new thread

3 Likes

i added all but one bit of info and that is were it was over dubbed as there seams no way of adding it. for now every thing is under Release Level. if you think it is wrong then please change it. i did it that way because it was ezer for me. please at least look over it https://musicbrainz.org/release/295bfb85-ea5f-4ef3-9be3-57bd89bb7fd1

1 Like

Looks good at a glance. Over dubbing doesn’t have its own credit, you add it like any other performer. You could make an annotation on the recording if you want a record that it was overdubbed.

2 Likes

I usually add over-dubs with the “Additional” attribute. So the guy who engineered the overdubs gets an “Engineered by” relationship with the Additional checkbox checked, and the vocalist gets “Vocals” with “Additional”

3 Likes

@st3v3p, I just realized that the cover of As Far as It Goes doesn’t just say “Steve Grace”, it says “Steve Grace and The Overlanders”. Assuming that The Overlanders are Steve Grace’s band and not an independent group that happened to be performing with him, you should create a second artist, Steve Grace and The Overlanders, and change the release and release group credit to them (the tracklist credits should automatically change to match). That’s the only thing that needs to be changed, the relationships you’ve added should still be with the individuals.

You can also create relationships with “Steve Grace and The Overlanders”, like “Steve Grace is a member of…”

1 Like

they are a British trio not his band form what i can find and there names dont appear on the album credits https://www.discogs.com/artist/325714

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the same group you linked to. They’re in the database, but were active from 1964 to 1967. I’m digging into it more.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s not the same Overlanders. This article treats “Steve Grace and The Overlanders” as a unit: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196388341

I still think you should make it a single artist.

1 Like

its not his band his doues not have one. thats the only album they seam to be on

It doesn’t matter if they appear anywhere else, the credit needs to be what’s on the cover (and the medium and spine, in this case). Although I think the newspaper article is pretty good evidence that they were his band at that point.

1 Like

Isn’t “Steve Grace and the Overlanders” just Steve and backing musicians? IMHO I think an alias would cover him. It is certainly not a totally different artist.

Here is an example of Slim Dusty doing it - notice the couple of releases as “Slim Dusty and his Bushlanders” https://musicbrainz.org/artist/36ec3cbf-fe4f-419f-840a-aed9afdf0250

The name is so similar I’d even guess that Steve got the idea from Slim

(I can’t get any of the images to load from the Steve page… guess they are more of those 60MB PNGs that seem to get stuck in my internet pipe :smile: So I’ve looked at the Discogs versions for reference. Actually no CAA images are working for me today…)

1 Like

yep i would say it is his backing singers. he only ever used it on the one album i have his 1990 album and it is not on it and i have is 2000 album and iv seen him 3 times none of the times i saw him did he have a band with him other then the band his son is in called skypilot

Open up the release and hit Edit next to the artist name. You can then change the credit to an alias as follows:

That way the release is still listed correctly under Steve, but it will show up as the name he performed as.

done do i need to worry about adding it here?

No need to add it to the aliases page. That is more for common typing errors. Or an artist like Prince swapping names more often.

“Steve Grace and the Overlanders” will now be found in the search due to what you just did for the one release. :slight_smile:

You forgot to copy the edit to Release Group level, so I have just done that for you.

1 Like

should i remove steve grace | gorden graces from it then?

1 Like

Nah - just leave that page alone. I think you’ll find it writes itself. I think once your edit for “Steve Grace and The Overlanders” is accepted it then appears on this list.

1 Like