How can I save Acoust IDs to already tagged files?

I would like to have acoustIDs saved to all of my files. This is very helpful if I want to determine a verified fingerprint for a certain track (a known recording) in order to compare it with fingerprints of other acoustIDs linked to the recording.
Many of my files were scanned in the past and have an AcoustID saved to the File. All more recently added files do not have an AcoustID stored because they were added to a specific release without being scanned.

So far I failed to add this tag for such files and have it filled by MB. Is there any way to add or update the AcoustID without (re)scanning all files?

You’ll need to scan them. This will generate the fingerprint and query the AcoustID server for matching AcoustIDs.

3 Likes

That’s what I tried to avoid. Can a scan also change other tags, or does it really just add the AcoustID? Can this cause conflicts with scripts?
Why can’t the AcoustID be updated when generated fingerprints are submitted?

When you submit a fingerprint it can take a while until AcoustID has processed it and either matched it to an existing AcoustID or assigned it a new one. Also while you can submit hundreds of fingerprints in a single call you need to look them up one by one with a separate request. Combined that makes it not very practical to get the AcoustIDs directly after submission.

If you really want the AcoustID afterwards wait until the fingerprint got processed and use scan on the file again.

3 Likes

I also add AcoustIDs to my files. And it is a weird process to do. Importantly make sure your files are already fully tagged up and it should cause less chaos when you drag them back over to the left side to click that Scan button.

Still be prepared to tag, save, drag to left, scan, drag back to the left again, re-cluster, then drag to the right, final save.

Often Scan will match to some other release even though you already have full MBIDs in the files. After a while you’ll get used to the pattern, but Picard is not designed for odd people like us who just want to add an AcoustID to an already identified file. :crazy_face:

What?!
I usually drag the file(s) to the left - scan - either they go back to their places or I drag them (with their acoustID) back from the new releases they have found - then save.

I usually only do this for 1 file at a time, so it’s easy to check, if something would be changed when saving. But I didn’t dare to scan many, because I might miss something. Being able to get just the AcoustID would be better.

Does Scan even look at MBIDs?

1 Like

I’ve been tagging some compilations and it can get really comical as to how may other releases will pop-up instead of the compilation I have to hand. This is why I just scoop all the tracks back from the right and recluster them on the left as then I can drag them as one lump and drop on the album, but now they have the AcoustID data included.

I don’t have the patience to do one track at a time. I’ll do an album or two at a time.

Don’t think so.

Its a shuffle I am used to doing so it doesn’t take long. As long as I remember to turn off the artwork download.

None of the above should be read as a criticism of Picard. It is just what it is as we want to save data that is less important to others. :grin:

4 Likes

That’s what I do, but it’s not very comfortable. I’ve done some tests. Of course, it is possible to scan a whole release and afterwards drag all found releases into the initial release,¹ but I must not load more than one version of the album into Picard or the tracks will get mixed up.

¹) initially submitted fingerprints are already processed, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference which release they are scanned to (track lengths are not always accurate, especially with vinyl rips)

And sometimes there is another problem: some files submit to a different acoustID than the one determined during the scan. For example:
The file of the CD version of Once Upon a Time in the West submits Fingerprint #12123023 | AcoustID to Track "97cd1651-afe3-402d-a317-ef886abc6d01" | AcoustID but a scan returns Track "59047188-f321-4800-98bd-fa850b5d16e1" | AcoustID (similar, but not the same). It is perfectly reproduceable - how is that possible?

When you lookup a fingerprint on AcoustID and there are several close matches there can be more then one result. Picard considers all results and uses metadata similarity to choose between multiple found recordings across all found AcoustIDs.

3 Likes

Not sure. AcoustID is not perfect for sure - I’ve spotted a few files in my collection where the scan does not provide any results (log says: No matching tracks for file xxx) yet when I generate and submit the fingerprints I can clearly see the source count increasing as expected. Meh :confused:

1 Like