Help with renaming

Hail to all,
I’m very confusing about a question regarding rename with Picard.
There’s my renaming string

$get(%originaldate%)
$get(%date%)
$get(%artist%)
$get(%albumartist%)
$get(%albumartistsort%)
$set(_datapubblicazione,$if2($left(%originaldate%,4),$left(%date%,4)))
$set(discnumber,$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),$num(%discnumber%,2)))
$set(title,$replace(%title%,...,…))
$set(album,$replace(%album%,...,…))
$set(artist,$replace(%artist%,...,…))
$set(albumartist,$replace(%albumartist%,...,…))
$set(albumartistsort,$replace(%albumartistsort%,...,…))
$set(discsubtitle,$replace(%discsubtitle%,...,…))
$set(_artistname,$if2(%albumartistsort%,%albumartist%,%artist%))
$set(_artistname,$replace(%_artistname%,...,…))
%_artistname%/%_datapubblicazione% - %album%/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),$if(%discsubtitle%,CD %discnumber% %discsubtitle%, CD %discnumber%))/$num(%tracknumber%,2). %title%

The problem is this:
Character substitution (i.e. triple dot substituted with ellipsis) works only if the release is present in MusicBrainz database and tags are retrieved from Internet. If release is tagged by hand, triple dot remains triple dot in directory name.
How to fix it?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my english, i’m auto-learning.

The first obvious answer is that you should add anything missing from MusicBrainz to MusicBrainz. :wink: (Also note that “…” for ellipsis is generally preferred over using triple dots directly in the database level, so ideally you wouldn’t even need scripting to fix this.)

However, I’m thinking that it should also work on already-existing file metadata. Maybe @outsidecontext or @samj1912 or someone knows why it doesn’t and whether it’s a bug or a feature…?

Not sure right now. If this is all in the renaming string it should work for both local file tags and tags from MB.org.

But if you have part of this script set in Options > Advanced > Scripting this will only run when data gets loaded from MB.org

2 Likes