Help with music directory management needed

Hello everyone,

I am trying to organize my music collection but am a quite oblivious to scripting and such things.
I was told that picard can help me get my job done but I have no idea how to get started.

I have a folder full of music, which needs to be categorized in such a way:
Music/Artist name/Album/Music files(Track number followed by song name) together with the cover image.
If the album is comprised of two discs I want them split into two seperate folders within the album folder. Or of it’s doable maybe in a single folder with some form of distinguishing numbering system to tell apart tracks from two discs apart.
Most of the metadata on my songs is taken care of already. It’ the folders that need arranging.

Can all this be done and how should I go about figuring it out?

Great news, this should all be doable with Picard out-of-the-box settings!

Install Picard, and try it out on a copy of a few of your albums, so you can make sure it’s doing what you expect, before unleashing it on a collection.

To move everything into folders:

• If you don’t want to change the metadata, make sure to go into Picard > Options and uncheck ‘Save Tags’
  • Drag a album or two of files into Picard
  • Click ‘cluster’
  • Select the resulting folders and click ‘save’

See if you like the results. If not, report back and we can help tweak things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, I seem to have missed an important detail as well, I want each folder to be named after the production year and album name. Can I do that?

There is an excellent documentation site - and with that you should be able to achieve pretty much anything you want to.

The default Picard settings also include the album release year :slight_smile: