Help with finding or making tagger script to handle (feat. …)

Hey guys, sorry I couldn’t find a script so far yet that does what I want (only the other way round):

If I have an mp3 that is tagged like

artist: Kanye West
title: Good Life (feat. T-Pain) or Good Life feat. T-Pain or Good Life (Feat. T-Pain)

the script should rename it to:
artist: Kanye West feat. T-Pain
title: Good Life

Is there something like that out there? Often I have releases that are not in the database, so the tags are not automatically fixed.
Would be very cool if something like this existed, otherwise I might be able to reverse the script that [philn96] posted

picard should do that be default unless you are using the plugin that puts the featured artist in to the title

2 Likes

It’s likely that the name is wrong in the database. The long-term solution would be to edit the release in MusicBrainz to move T-Pain to the Artist field.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, unfortunately I’m trying to tag lot of releases that are not in the db yet.

1 Like

you can add them to the db that will help others as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Backing up @Billy_Yank and @st3v3p, adding them to the database isn’t much more work for you than tagging the tracks manually, and it will save you a lot of time if you ever need to retag. That’s how I got started editing, lol.

4 Likes

Here is a script that can do this for you for files on the left:

$set(_feat,$rsearch(%title%,\\s+\\\(?\(feat\\.[^\)]*\)))
$set(title,$rreplace(%title%,\\s+\\\(?feat\\.[^\)]*\\\)?,))
$set(artist,$if(%_feat%,%artist% %_feat%,%artist%))

This looks for “feat.” matches in the title, removes it from the title and ads it to the artist. The regular expression used to find the featuring is a bit hard to read due to all the escaping needed, but written plain it is \s+\(?(feat\.[^\)]*). This will match both with and without parantheses, i.e. both " (feat. T-Pain)" and " feat. T-Pain".

To use this do the following:

• In Options > Scripting add a new script. Give it a nice name, e.g. “Move featuring from title to artist”. Copy and paste the script from above.
  • I would recommend to disable the checkmark in front of the script. This way it will not run automatically for releases loaded on the right, it should not be necessary there.
  • To use it, right click on the files you want to change and select the script in the “Run script” submenu.
2 Likes

Thank you so much, I just realized that you replied to me here - Awesome!

1 Like