GSoC 2023: UI/UX improvements to the 'Fresh Releases' page

Personal Information:

Name: Saniya Pendhari

IRC nick: niya

Email: saniya.pendhari@gmail.com

Time zone: UTC+5:30

UI/UX improvements to Fresh Releases page

Project Overview

The main aim of the Fresh Release page is to facilitate the users to find new songs that might match their taste in music. This project, in particular, aims to improve the UI/UX of the Fresh Release page. I aim to take this fresh release experience that inevitably translates into an experience of finding new music that the user loves to a new and enjoyable level. This will also help to elevate the general experience of ListenBrainz for the user.

Implementation:

1. Implement the new design for the Fresh Release page

This will include the toggle effects and the timeline slider feature as well.

1. Release Card

2. Show a play button on hovering

3. Allow users to add their own cover art to releases that don’t have a cover art

4. Show an hourglass for future releases

1. As a personal addition, I would like to add a toggle for ‘Obscure Artists’ that will allow the user to find new releases from artists that are not mainstream and may not be known by a lot of people. I intend to use user-provided data to determine which artists have fewer listeners as compared to others.

Timeline:

Become familiar with ListenBrainz codebase and interact with the mentors as well as the team to get familiar with the working environment fo the organisation.

Initial weeks: Implement initial changes in the UI and modify the release card design.

Week 4-7: Fix any bugs related to initial implementation and implement the responsive design of the fresh releases pages and fix any bugs and related to that.

Week 8-12: I plan to add any additional features discussed with my mentors at the beginning of the project and implement them. I also intend to work with the documentation work and fix all other bugs of the project.

Detailed Information about myself:

I am pursuing IT engineering at Vellore Institue of Technology, Vellore. I enjoy reading novels, dancing and listening to music in my leisure time.

Tell us about the computer(s) you have available for working on your SoC project!

I plan to use an early 2015 MacBook Pro for my SoC Project.

When did you first start programming?

The first time I got into programming was in 11th grade where I learnt

C++ programming in school.

What type of music do you listen to? (Please list a series of MBIDs as examples.)

I mainly listen to a lot of pop, indie and alternative genres.

Here are the MBIDs of just a few songs that I love -

3177689b-8d6f-45a8-bd05-54108ad61e43

7095733b-dd51-4a77-b21b-486029858879

f56947e6-caab-4540-80cf-cfc40562584e

a2054fe0-775c-47a4-b1a8-481b9c18194d

232cec74-1896-4872-9dbf-5889fc55d714

d05f6717-9e8e-4c6b-acf7-152d6a072d85

7f6f172a-d990-4b61-a3ff-b3221942f620

What aspects of the project you’re applying for (e.g., MusicBrainz, AcousticBrainz, etc.) interest you the most?

I love listening to music and constantly try to find new music to listen to. The most interesting thing about this website (ListenBrainz) is how it collects data from various sites that track the user’s listening habits and consolidates it into one platform. I, personally, love learning about my music listening habits so I found this project to be very interesting.

Have you ever used MusicBrainz to tag your files?

Yes, I have connected my lastfm account to track my music activity.

Have you contributed to other Open Source projects?

I am new to open source, but I have benefitted a lot from the open source community while learning software development. So I hope to become an open source contributor to be able to serve the open source community.

What sorts of programming projects have you done on your own time?

I have done data mining projects and learnt to use Machine Learning algorithms in python as well. I am currently working on a MERN stack website.

How much time do you have available, and how would you plan to use it?

I plan to devote 11-13 hours per week for my GSoC project so that I will be able to complete the project in 12 weeks. I have an internship in the summer so I will be balancing that as well.

1 Like

Quoting @rob

Hello!

Thank you for your proposal. However, the proposal is very thin on details – it mostly contains images that you didn’t create and there isn’t much else in the proposal. We should make a better effort to show us how you’re going to do what you plan to do.

And given that this is a UX project where our team member has done the design work, we will need to you to implement one small portion of the design in an a proper PR so we can see how you work.

Thanks!

1 Like