GnuDb.org is being threatened by misunderstanding people

GnuDb.org is a nice successor to FreeDB*, with a cool search engine, from which I have often been checking out or importing CD tracklists.

But it is now being threatened by misunderstanding people, who think this tracklist and disc ID database also contains audio rips! :woman_facepalming:

This could also happen to MB.

gnudb.org is under attack from Incopro Ltd. falsely accusing gnudb for hosting copyrighted audio tracks. They have send me an immediately cease and desist mail, which they also have send to the hosting company.
Read all the mails here. Should they succeed in getting our hosting company “Hetzner” to take gnudb.org down which I can not imaginate, there may be a outrage until I have found a solution.

* Wow, it seems they have bought the FreeDB.org domain, now!

12 Likes

Misunderstang?
Maybe but they’re acting like IP trolls.

1 Like

Misunderstanding, because they are losing their own time with a site that is not what they think.

It happens to MB all the time. We usually refer them to Data Removal Policy - MusicBrainz and then don’t hear anything more from them.

5 Likes

Doesn’t look like this, according to a whois search freedb.org is still owned by MAGIX Software GmbH. But someone there seems to have been nice enough to setup a redirect.

3 Likes