Getting Started - Submitting audio files to local server

Hello,

My name is Aidan and I have been exploring AcousticBrainz with the interest of creating a GSOC proposal for the recording similarity project. I posted this on the #musicbrainz irc, but this looked like it might also be a good channel for inquiry. I have used many of the tools related to MusicBrainz and configured a local server. I tagged some files from my own music library and started working with the submission tool as well. I am currently trying to upload my tagged files to the local server but I believe that I’m only uploading them to the AcousticBrainz database. Is there documentation available that could help to direct me through this process?

The server documentation ( https://github.com/metabrainz/acousticbrainz-server ) notes a process for importing data to the server, however it isn’t clear to me from the docs how to import my own data dump.

Thank you for the help getting started, in advance.

This is not documented outside of the code AFAICT, but you should be able to create a configuration file ~/.abzsubmit/default.conf with something like:

[acousticbrainz]
host = localhost

and abzsubmit should now be submitting your analyses to localhost instead of acousticbrainz.org.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help. I created the file ~/.abzsubmit/default.conf but I also noticed that /abzsubmit/abz/default.conf exists, in which there is a host specification as well ( I uncommented host = localhost:4000 ). Should this also be specified as localhost? I am also unsure as to which port I need to specify.

My server log says
db_1 | 2019-03-17 17:07:17.866 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 5432

db_1 | 2019-03-17 17:07:17.866 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv6 address "::", port 5432

This indicated to me that perhaps I should use host = localhost:5432, however the server has not recognized any of my attempts to upload with this port. I also tried using port 4000, and port 8080 which is where my server is hosted. I have tried specifying these different ports, as well as simply localhost in both ~/.abzsubmit/default.conf and in the source location /abzsubmit/abz/default.conf. Unfortunately, none of these have allowed me to submit data.

Update: I have since resolved this issue by switching to accessing my server at localhost:8080 rather than 0.0.0.0:8080, and using host = localhost:8080 in /abzsubmit/abz/default.conf.

1 Like

You’ve almost got it, except the local configuration file should be named ~/.abzsubmit/abzsubmit.conf
The port number that you found is for the database server, not the webserver. The webserver listens on port 8080, so host = localhost:8080 should be enough in abzsubmit.conf

Your solution of editing default.conf is a valid solution too!

2 Likes