''Get It Off Your Mind'' vs. ''Get It off Your Mind''

Hello everyone,

which one is correct according to the MusicBrainz guidelines?

‘‘Get It Off Your Mind’’ or ‘‘Get It off Your Mind’’?

I found this in the guidelines:
Short prepositions (three letters or less): as, at, by, for, in, of, on, to, but, cum, mid, off, per, qua, re, up, via – except when used as adverbs or as an inseparable part of a verb

So my guess is that ‘‘off’’ should be lowercased but on MusicBrainz I see everybody using it capitalized.

Hope someone can give some clarity.

Thanks!

“Guess case button” never lowercases it. I think that’s why it’s almost always in uppercase. But reading the guidelines it should actually be lowercase. Except when used as a verb, i.e. “I Get Off When I See You” (lol, sorry). So, I think this might actually be “Get It off Your Mind”

3 Likes

When in doubt, I use https://capitalizemytitle.com/

2 Likes

I think “off” should be lowercased in this instance. I don’t think there is a phrasal verb here. “Get” is the verb, “It” is the subject, “off” is a preposition, and “Your Mind” is the object of the preposition.

Even if it were a phrasal verb, the phrasal verb would be “Get Off,” which, in this case would have to be a separable phrasal verb, since “It” is separating it. So it wouldn’t be an “inseparable part of a verb,” and therefore not an exception to lowercasing.

3 Likes

It’s funny that that site offers up nine separate capitalization styles.

Anyone who professes that there is a One and True title case standard is deluded.

That said, the site suggests “Get It off Your Mind” (lowercase off) so maybe that’s OK.

1 Like

It doesn’t recognize the inseparable verbal phrases either. So, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, shows up as Shine on You Crazy Diamond, even though we know that’s wrong. But still a great tool.

It’s because they title is not really correct without the comma, or any other punctuation.
Without the comma, even human cannot be sure:

Shine On! You Crazy Diamond

There it works, but I know the artistic title is without.

Just to say that no system could guess it right, except if it had this title, hard-coded. :wink:

1 Like

Shine On! You Crazy Diamond is incorrect in English. That is making two separate sentences and breaking the meaning of the original sentence.

As you say, there is no easy perfect rule. Too many confusing variations.

1 Like

Shine On, You, Crazy Diamond! if you want. :wink:
Shine on You, without punctuation is incorrect if what we mean is not what we read.

You are still making up random punctuation that makes no sense in this context in English. The sentence clearly does not need punctuation. Never has done. I don’t even remember a bootleg written with punctuation.

Ah OK, it’s a French bias, then.
We do must use punctuation, in these ambiguous double-meaning cases.
Maybe we don’t like ambiguity. :wink:

In a title/phrase like “Shine On You Crazy Diamond,” a comma following “On” is technically correct, but I think it’s generally considered optional in this instance. If you add the comma, both Guess Case and capitalizemytitle.com get it right.

2 Likes