Gary Clark Jr. entries with a comma?

Hey All,

I’ve been a user, but rarely an editor, since about 2009 but I just stumbled onto an issue with Mister Clark’s entries. It seems that about half of his album entries have the artist listed as “Gary Clark, Jr.” and the others are just “Gary Clark Jr.” It looks like most websites are using the version without the comma, including his site, http://www.garyclarkjr.com. I’m just curious, if someone is working on this. I just corrected all of my tags, to the no comma version so everything is matching now. I seriously doubt this will ever be fixed, as I just checked on the Bangles entry and people are still adding “The” to their name. Sorry, I’m being too picky. Good night, all.

1 Like

it should be the same as the website if it is the official website

2 Likes

If an artist name is spelled/styled consistently in their official media, then we can take it as artist intent; otherwise, we should use a standard style. I had thought that the comma was standard, but both AP Style and the Chicago Manual of Style say not to use a comma. So I guess the only time we would use a comma is if the artist consistently presents themselves that way. Clearly not the case here.

However, the cover art we have here for the release Worry No More (first example I checked) shows it with the comma, so that release is correct as listed.

2 Likes

Done. I’ve changed all to reflect how it appears on the cover of each release.

2 Likes

I’d file this under “cover designers having different understanding of English”.

It always jars with me when I see different typing styles on a cover just caused by the “designer of the day” when the put the artwork together. Personally, I’d have left the comma out.

1 Like

For tagging, Picard has a “use standardized artist names” option that will make sure you tag them all the same despite the cover art differences.

3 Likes

Wow, that was some fast work! Thank you for all of the replies and the corrections. Everyone have a great weekend.

1 Like