Folder naming by Codec / File Format

Hi Everyone.

For many of my albums, I save copies in multiple formats (MP3 and FLAC, mostly). I keep the lossy stuff to put on my phone and in my car, since my car stereo doesn’t handle FLAC, and storage space is limited on my phone.

Unfortunately, my folder naming schema in Musicbrainz ended up giving me a single folder that has both MP3 and FLAC files in it, which makes transferring files from one device to another more difficult than necessary.

I’ve tried using the Foobar2000 %codec% tag in my file naming in Picard, but it always ends up blank. Does this tag just not work in Picard, or are others of you getting it to work? Is there something else I should be using instead? What are you all doing to solve this problem?

FWIW, I’m currently using something like this:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if($ne(%albumartist%,),%album% [$if(%date%,$left(%date%,4)) - %codec%]/)$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),%discnumber%-,)$if($ne(%albumartist%,),$num(%tracknumber%,2) ,)$if(%_multiartist%,%artist% - ,)%title%

Thanks!

• Hubris

Instead of %codec%, you might want to use %_extension% or %_format%. They are explained here.

3 Likes

Ahh yes! That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Have also a look at this thread:

1 Like