Flatpak version of Picard 2.0

Hi !

We have began to work on a Flatpak version of Picard 2.0 here.

We’ve seen that only 64bits builds are supported as of 2.0. So we have skipped the build for i386 arch. But what about arm and aarch64 ? Are they officially supported ?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

1 Like

Hi, I maintain the Picard Flatpak in Flathub, and am working with @ShurtMaiden on preparing it for Picard 2.0.

I think a more interesting question is: are you opposed to us providing builds for all (i386, x86_64, armhf, aarch64) arches?

If you’d really prefer we only shipped x86_64, then we’ll do just that.

However…

The way I understand this ticket is that you’d rather only provide x86_64 builds when it comes to the official builds at Downloads - MusicBrainz Picard.

If that is the case, then since the Flatpak build is not really “official” (I’m not a Picard contributor, I only maintain it in Flathub because I wanted to use it :yum:) then maybe that ticket doesn’t apply and we can continue building for all arches?

I guess maybe I should have asked a long time ago, but… do you want to take over it and make this Flatpak build official? I’m happy to pass it to the Picard core devs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see any immediate reason to not provide any architecture supported by Flathub and which builds successfully except maybe a lack of testing. I can’t speak for the current core development team, though. @samj1912 @Zas, do I miss something?

We do provide e.g. i386 builds in the Ubuntu PPA. The limitation to 64 bit builds maybe is for the Win and Mac versions (as there are no other official builds provided except the PPA). We historically had trouble providing builds for both operating systems. Things got better now that there is CI builds in place, though. I assume the 64 bit restriction is probably more because of the process, not about some actual limitation in code.

2 Likes

You’re right.

We don’t have resources to manage and test all builds, this is the main reason we focus on x86_64, but nothing prevents anyone to provide builds for other architectures (after all that’s the whole point of open source, right?).

Please let us know about builds and who to contact about them : users will report specific-build issues in official issue tracker, and we need to be able to forward those to the people in charge of the build if it happens.

2 Likes

@Zas You can forward theses issues by creating an issue in our repository on GitHub.

3 Likes

@Zas Alright, thanks, that’s what I thought but we figured it was better to ask, and not do something against the will of upstream. :slightly_smiling_face:

We’ll keep all builds then: arm, aarch64, i386 and x86_64.

And as @ShurtMaiden said, people can report issues that are specific to the Flatpak builds over at Github.

I’m now watching the flatpak tag in this forum anyway, and will try to reply to users when I can.

4 Likes