Finding release dates from database dump

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f0509f94bf0> #<Tag:0x00007f0509f94948> #<Tag:0x00007f0509f946c8>

Just wondering, how would you go about SQL searching by release dates for individual releases or release groups? Specifically, I’m looking at release_country and release_unknown_country but those two just have separated year, month and date fields.

I hacked up a way to do it by creating a view that turns the year/month/day columns into an actual date value but when I do that, the queries take forever to run…is there a better way to do this?

Can you paste the query / view definition you are trying to run?
It may be easier to use pastebin or a google doc with your query.

Hi! First of all, thanks for taking the time to even look into this. I just found out most of the devs are actually in IRC rather than here.

Anyways, my goal is to create a sort of super table that lists the artists name, with any release_groups and the earliest release_dates attached to whatever album/single it finds since I don’t want it to list re-releases. To achieve this, I’m joining together the following tables:

• artist
  • artist_credit
  • artist_credit_name
  • release
  • release_group
  • release_event_dates

release_event_dates is basically just a UNION between release_country and release_unknown_country that turns the day, month and year columns into dates. I’ve included the code for the two views at the bottom of my post. This is the query I try to run just to see what’s new this week:

SELECT * FROM release_groups_single_date WHERE released >= '2018-01-16' AND released =< '2018-02-16'

I’m sure someone more experience can already see the problem in that it takes forever to execute. I can post the output from EXPLAIN if you’d like, but the EXPLAIN ANALYZE says it takes 15 seconds to execute. If I run a similar search on the website it returns results instantly.

Things I’ve tried

• Adding indexes where required
  • Removing the COALESCE and MIN functions
  • Using Materialized views

The last one basically solved it for me, and I just run a cron job where it updates the view once a day. Still though, I’m very curious as to how the website achieves such good performance so I’ve been tinkering with the virtual machine but can’t seem to get the search-server docker to run for some reason.

Once I get the virtual machine search-server up and running, I intend to log all queries and dig through the website’s source to see what it’s doing and try to mimic. I’m a bit new at this, so everything takes forever and I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if there’s any info you think I should add.

/edit After looking more closely at the search help page, it looks like it uses a search engine called Lucene, so I’m guessing that means it doesn’t query the database directly. There may not be an answer to my question then :x

CREATE VIEW release_event_dates AS
 SELECT q.release,
    to_date(concat(COALESCE((q.date_year)::integer, 1900), '/', COALESCE((q.date_month)::integer, 1), '/', COALESCE((q.date_day)::integer, 1)), 'YYYY/MM/DD'::text) AS date,
   FROM ( SELECT release_country.release,
           FROM release_country
        UNION ALL
         SELECT release_unknown_country.release,
            NULL::integer AS int4
           FROM release_unknown_country) q;
SELECT, AS rname,,
    min( AS released
   FROM release_group
     JOIN release ON = release.release_group
     JOIN release_event_dates ON = release_event_dates.release
     JOIN artist_credit ON = release.artist_credit
     JOIN artist_credit_name ON = artist_credit_name.artist_credit
     JOIN artist ON = artist_credit_name.artist

Your date calculation looks good but if you convert that to a function you may be able to use a function based index.
This allows you to create a function based index and this should hopefully be faster (needs testing)

create or replace function calc_date(date_year integer,date_month integer,date_day integer) returns date as $$
select to_date(concat(COALESCE((date_year)::integer, 1900), '/', COALESCE((date_month)::integer, 1), '/', COALESCE((date_day)::integer, 1)), 'YYYY/MM/DD'::text) $$
LANGUAGE SQL immutable;

create index release_unknown_country_over_date on release_unknown_country(calc_date(date_year,date_month,date_day));
create index release_country_over_date on release_country(calc_date(date_year,date_month,date_day));

When I look at the explain plan the difference is not that large.
As the releases table is huge most of the time is spent looking at that table.

Did you find that release_groups have a record of the first release date, which might be something that is useful for you (and should remove your need for your view)

I had no idea that such a table existed! I’m going to compare that to the min date and see if I get the same thing. Does this mean that the earliest release dates are duplicated in the database?

When I look at the explain plan the difference is not that large.

I’ve never used functions or function indexes so I might try it out just for fun, but are you saying that performance-wise it had no impact?

You are joining a huge table with a small table so most of the time was reading the big table from disk.
The performance gains from calculating things one way or another way don’t make a huge difference in this case.