File renaming on save (no addition of (1), (2),... when file already exists)

Good day,

I figured out that when I turn the renaming function of files on
and I have the file naming script set to: %artist%/%artist% - %title% in the code
files that already exist are not being overwritten. Instead Picard is renaming a new music file that is supposed to be renamed the same as an existing file is getting a (1) or (2) or (3) at the end.

What I would like to achieve is to make Picard me asking whether I want to override an already existing file or which copy of the files I want to keep.

Is this somehow possible or could I instruct Picard to not copy a file if the path that it needs the file to copy to already contains a file with the same file name?

What option or code would I have to enter in the Picardā€™s options in order to make this work?

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Udo

1 Like

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything you can do in Picard. Itā€™s a system (e.g. Windows) function to add (1) to the end of a file if one already exists with the same name.

The ā€˜Rename files when savingā€™ checkbox doesnā€™t relate to other files on your drive, it just gives permission to Picard to rename the loaded file when you click ā€˜saveā€™. I donā€™t believe Picard interacts with/queries other files on your computer at any time (?)

My suggestion would be to just proceed as normal, tag and move everything, and afterwards search your music folder for ā€œ(*)ā€ to identify duplicates and deal with them.