File renaming on save (no addition of (1), (2),... when file already exists)

Good day,

I figured out that when I turn the renaming function of files on
and I have the file naming script set to: %artist%/%artist% - %title% in the code
files that already exist are not being overwritten. Instead Picard is renaming a new music file that is supposed to be renamed the same as an existing file is getting a (1) or (2) or (3) at the end.

What I would like to achieve is to make Picard me asking whether I want to override an already existing file or which copy of the files I want to keep.

Is this somehow possible or could I instruct Picard to not copy a file if the path that it needs the file to copy to already contains a file with the same file name?

What option or code would I have to enter in the Picard’s options in order to make this work?

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Udo

1 Like

I don’t think there’s anything you can do in Picard. It’s a system (e.g. Windows) function to add (1) to the end of a file if one already exists with the same name.

The ‘Rename files when saving’ checkbox doesn’t relate to other files on your drive, it just gives permission to Picard to rename the loaded file when you click ‘save’. I don’t believe Picard interacts with/queries other files on your computer at any time (?)

My suggestion would be to just proceed as normal, tag and move everything, and afterwards search your music folder for “(*)” to identify duplicates and deal with them.