Fetching ISRCs from Spotify

You’ll have to elaborate on “not functional” because there’s nothing obviously non functional in that screenshot.

It doesn’t show corresponding recording titles and ISRCs in MB in the opposite column like it used to.
I can click the “Submit” button at the bottom (which I couldn’t get in the screenshot without chopping off most of the top) but nothing happens.
Plus, all the text is oriented to the left, whereas before it was centered.

You need to paste the URL in the bottom.

From looking at the access logs, it looks like you’re using a precomposed ?bind URL, which isn’t supported anymore.

And yes, I know about the left alignment. But you’ll excuse me if I don’t consider that “not functional”.

1 Like

That’s news to me. I was using the complementary link generated by @marlonob’s digital release seeder.

This wasn’t something I supported explicitly.

Reverse engineering the URL structure was trivial obviously, and not something I had a problem with, but it was still that: reverse engineering.

I will try to update the build this evening to support this, but again, this isn’t something that I commit to not breaking in future (though I’ll try not to)

Edit: This should be done now, but you’ll probably need to clear the cache to get the new JS assets.

4 Likes

OK, it works now (with or without precomposed URLs) but it doesn’t indicate if the job succeeded or failed. I had to check the edit history on each release to make sure the ISRCs were successfully submitted.

Due to this migration, the confirmation message “submit successfully” has been deleted?

Edit: corrected, now with status Submit, In progress and Submitted. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I send a link from Spotify, nothing happens, everything looks like this on the screen. Something has changed? When will the result display work?

2 Likes

A few new things were added recently.

• Barcode retrieval: if there as MusicBrainz release with the barcode of the Spotify release, it will display it as a candidate automatically. If there is only one match, it will also load it automatically. If there is more than one, it will show all, but not select any by default.
  • Heuristic matching of releases if there’s no barcode match. This is a simple MB search by artist name, track count etc., which I plan to try to optimise a bit.
  • Kind of single-page app for the artist explorer. Selecting an album will load it on the same page, keeping the other releases still shown in the slot below.
6 Likes

The “Fuzzy matches” could need some max width.

1 Like

In the next few hours(ish – could be tomorrow) I’ll be moving the app to a new location.

It’s also been rewritten, the core features are all still there, and any others that aren’t are probably work in progress (so don’t ask). The new version is entirely client side. As a result you’ll need a Spotify account to use it (not Premium, just any Spotify account).

The reason for this is that it can’t keep secrets being 100% client side and the PKCE flow for Spotify requires login even if you don’t request any special access scope (or at least it seems to – if someone knows better please let me know). There’s no logging of any of the data, including who logged in beyond what Spotify’s API will log when you authenticate – feel free to inspect the network tabs etc.

Auth flows now happen in a separate tab (or window) which will close when it completes, so you don’t lose where you were or end up with a new tab focused.

Old links will be redirected temporarily, until the old app expires in about three months.

10 Likes

Thanks for your continued work!

Hopefully, we can get atisket updated for the new location. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It’s up in the air whether a-tisket will ever be updated.

Edit to avoid double-posting: For those who can’t or don’t want to use the new tool, it should still be possible to view the ISRCs in the results page of a-tisket and submit them via @kepstin’s MagicISRC.

5 Likes

I don’t know how atisket ISRC listing looks like but you may want to use MASS ISRC to copy/paste all ISRC at once in Magic ISRC.

2 Likes

I’ve updated my userscript to use the new URL. I’ve also started hosting a mirror of atisket and I’ve updated the URL there too.

Thanks for continuing to support this useful tool @tatsumo!

6 Likes

Please, bring back the search for ISRC on each ISRC that you had on the previous version. Believe it or not, I used it a lot because I have a script to open links in new windows and it made searching for them a lot easier than doing each one by one. Thanks for the hard work. It’s an awesome tool.

2 Likes

Done. It can also load them inline as well.

2 Likes

Is there any way to ‘cache’ my credentials/cookies for Spotify, to later be used by this app? Each time I go to submit, I’m asked to sign into Spotify and MusicBrainz again. Even just refreshing a page after I just signed in.

2 Likes

Spotify yes — if that’s not working there must be something wrong. This does work for me (and obviously I don’t have weird logic in place for my own accounts). But it doesn’t last forever.

For MusicBrainz it’s a bit trickier but it is something I was looking at. It kind of works now. ish. In order to refresh the credentials it needs to open a new tab/window – it will try to do this at immediately at page load if you’ve logged in before. However, because this spawns a new tab/window without user interaction (click/etc.) browser pop-up blockers will intercept it.

So if you want it to automatically log back into MusicBrainz, when you see a “pop-up blocked” notice at page load, just set it to “Always allow”. Otherwise you can just ignore it and click the button as before.

1 Like

Wow! Looks great and I have had no issues. Of course, I got used to the Spotify login situation with their API interface. Not a big deal to me, it’s a click. I guess it would be annoying if I was using MB on a phone or tablet though. Awesome job.