Feedback and support thread for the Pulsewidth a-tisket instance

I am not sure if this has been mentioned here before (search didn’t yield anything relevant) but digital release dates before 2001 should be rejected right at the tool level. None of the services that atisket supports came even existed before 2001 and these instances of “Digital releases from the analogue era” are pretty much flooding the database with low quality data because lots of users are essentially running in autopilot.

4 Likes

I think this has been mentioned a few times here on the forums…

I don’t think it should block submissions of 200X releases, but perhaps it should blank (or at the very least suggest blanking) the release date field for these releases (I think this has been the general consensus)

7 Likes

Yeah, this is what I actually implied but my wording wasn’t clear enough.

Have a quick check at history on Wikipedia and you’ll see Spotify, Deezer, etc are all long after 2001. There are also the contract arguments that kept artists like Radiohead, The Beatles, etc away from digital release for a lot longer than that.

It is a long old debate in this and other threads. Frustrating that users don’t understand the damage they are doing. They just blindly believe the data they are fed without even making a basic sanity check.

5 Likes

The following countries have name changes in MB that could be reflected in the annotations here as well. Czech Republic is now Czechia, Swaziland is now Eswatini & Turkey is now Türkiye.

1 Like

I’m realising just now that my point below was posted only in the other thread, so I will bring it up here too as I still run into this issue regularly.

Having English as default option in a-tisket’s language field leads certain users to not bother selecting the correct language using the release editor before submitting a release. This is an area where this (otherwise excellent) tool leads to lower data quality. I would just remove the field altogether and let users manually set the language using the release editor, or leave the field blank if in doubt.

6 Likes

between this and the Bandcamp importer doing similarly, even I often forget to set the language and script fields… I’ll second this change wholeheartedly~

4 Likes

My preference would be to move it to somewhere more prominent, like where the tracklist is. It’s something I rarely need to change, but I always forget to because it’s hiding at the bottom of the page and gets overlooked.

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for hosting this website.

I have found the tool incredibly useful and would like to contribute some code to add new features as well improve QoL for the existing ones. Is the source available on github or some other place?

Fixed.

The default setting of English has been removed, but the drop down left in place. I added Korean as a list option as quite a few people seem to be using a-tisket to import K-pop releases.

I appreciate some people won’t like this change as it means 1 more click - I may consider adding a preference to set the default language in future but it will intentionally require some sort of manual action to set (e.g. copying code into the developer tools console).

I also converted the script option to a drop down list but left Latin as the default.

I’ve moved the language and script options to directly below the tracklist so they are much more prominent.

A few other general changes have been made:

• Dropped the excessive amounts of vertical whitespace above headers and sections. This reduces the amount of scrolling needed without impacting readability.
  • Fixed a bug where the wrong Apple Music release was selected and an incorrect number of tracks was listed. This was due to the iTunes API returning multiple releases for a UPC search. Here is an example of a release that triggered the issue - note the single release in the “Other Versions” section under the tracklist.
11 Likes

The use of Serif fonts on the site has always grated a bit for me. I’d like to switch all the fonts to Sans Serif and increase the size very slightly to improve readability, see the screenshots below:

However this change is obviously very subjective so I thought I’d run a little poll to see if there is any consensus:

• Change the font to Sans Serif
  • Leave the fonts as they are
0 voters
5 Likes

To my surprise the poll was unanimous so I’ve just made the change. You may need to clear your cache for the updated CSS to load. Hopefully everyone finds the site a bit easier to read now.

7 Likes

Small regression. It’s no longer possible to deselect Latin.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve added an empty option to the script dropdown.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if this would warrant a new topic or not, but has anyone else encountered Spotify having seemingly identical but separate releases for India and everywhere else?

To give an example of what I mean, I added https://musicbrainz.org/release/c477420d-9931-4ecf-b0c3-5d58762c6121 (Spotify link) today. It’s the same label and barcode as https://musicbrainz.org/release/425e1c90-9530-43b5-8624-65c3a4e84ab7 (Spotify), but they have different Spotify IDs. The former is only available in India and the latter is available everywhere else. https://www.deezer.com/album/445802055 has the same label and barcode, but https://api.deezer.com/track/2298903865 lists India as an available country. Meanwhile, ‎ÁTTA - Album by Sigur Rós - Apple Music has a different barcode, but it’s the same Apple Music ID in India.

The label in question is BMG Rights Management (UK) Limited. Note that https://musicbrainz.org/release/e10d12be-a02c-4abf-9fa3-2087b693919a, https://musicbrainz.org/release/127e1027-ffce-4e7c-b918-4b89c9424ee6, Release “I Wish I Could Hate You” by HRVY - MusicBrainz and https://musicbrainz.org/release/48973cdf-51e8-4de7-8c22-fd2c2b4ffa34 don’t appear to be available in India either.

So is this a Spotify quirk? A label quirk? Both? And do they warrant separate MB releases or should they be merged?

1 Like

Yes. India has its own Spotify IDs. Every time I get a release that’s everywhere except India on Spotify, I always check the India release and see if the barcode is the same. Almost always is, so same release. I don’t think it’s exclusive to BMG either but does seem to be only a Spotify thing. Maybe a deal they made to be in India. I’d also check the API on Deezer to see if it’s in India with the same barcode. That would negate having to check for the different Spotify release.

It is also worth remembering that India has only had Spotify since 2019.

2 Likes

Would it be too much trouble to add Japanese to that list too? I’ve been using a-tisket to import a lot of Japanese releases lately (and know of at least one other editor who does the same).

1 Like

I added Japanese to the language dropdown.

7 Likes

@atj

1. are you willing to make the code for atisket opensource?
  2. will you be open to having it maintained by the community?

I would like to contribute some code.

1 Like