ETI or part of the title?

I just received the ‘Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack’ CD and I came across a title for which I’m unsure about the appropriate capitalization. The track I’m talking about is:

Helena’s Theme (for Violin and Orchestra)

On the MusicBrainz it has been put down as Helena’s Theme (for violin and orchestra) but on some classical releases the ‘for violin and orchestra’ bit is considered as a part of the title.

So my question is, is it ETI or part of the title on this particular release?

Helena’s Theme (for Violin and Orchestra) or Helena’s Theme (for violin and orchestra)

Thanks as always,
Ronan

4 Likes

I vote for Helena’s Theme (for violin and orchestra)

1 Like

It is certainly part of the track title.
Now for the recording, it’s up to you if you prefer setting it in the recording title or in the disambiguation comment.
Both are legit, IMO. :slight_smile:
I would set it in recording title as it matches (I guess) 100% of the track titles.

I’ve personally treated it as ETI, but you’ve invoked the dreaded word ‘classical’, so now I must let out a blood-curdling scream of terror and flee from this thread.

(Classical style is MusicBrainz on hard mode and something I generally avoid, so I can’t help you with it. Sorry.)

6 Likes

I would also consider this ETI, because A) it’s not a classical release and B) in the cases where a classical release has a phrase like that as part of the title, the work in question usually doesn’t have other titles besides this.

“Helena’s Theme” identifies the track, “(for violin and orchestra)” is just background info.

4 Likes

For classical releases (which I wouldn’t consider this to be), it’s normally left out of track titles/works unless it’s a work where the instrumentation is important for identification, like Beethoven’s Trio for Piano, Clarinet [or Violin], and Cello no. 4 in B-flat major, op. 11 or works following “Concerto for [instrument]”, since it’s usually redundant with performance relationships.