English Capitalization Rules Again :-)

Hi

Could some one have a look at this edit: Edit #101978611 - Edit medium

In my opinion, this editor should not have made these changes, howerever my English is not good enough to explain why he/she is doing it wrong.

Thank you

Greets Tis

ps I hope I am right on this one otherwise I’m now the biggest fool of MB and I will never learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right, I added a note on that edit quoting the rules.
Cheers

1 Like

Those to’s should be capitalized because they are used as infinitives (to give and to have.) They would not be infinitives if they are used as prepositions (such as to her, to the park, and to school.)

1 Like

Thank you all. Have a nice day

Not according to the style guides Style / Language / English - MusicBrainz :

• (2) Between the first and last word of a title Capitalize all words except:
    […]
    • (d) When used to form an infinitive: to
3 Likes

Found this in Style / Miscellaneous - MusicBrainz
Use of basic ASCII punctuation characters such as ’ and " is allowed, but typographically-correct punctuation (such as ’ for the English apostrophe) is preferred.
My keyboard doesn’t have the ‘English apostrophe’, for example.
Just realize that it’s converted automatically here.

1 Like

There is a user script that changes the ’ for you so those changes are right. Looks ugly but oke that is the way MB wants it that is the way MB gets it :slight_smile:

MusicBrainz: Guess Unicode punctuation

But is the TO that is confusing the heck out of me. My English is not good enough and when I translate it with Google I get such funny translates, they make no sense to me.

So I still don’t know if I’m right … yes or no

1 Like

I have a sneaky trick to find that apostrophe… I copy\paste it from the Tracklist page

5 Likes

Misread the guidelines there. You’re right.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the guideline was intended differently and ended up in a wrong formatting:

‘to’ is already under (c) where it says it should not be capitalised
So why repeat that under (d)?
Perhaps (d) was meant to show an exception for (c) when ‘to’ is part of an infinitive and then should be capitalised.
That would make sense to me.

(c) is saying that “to” shouldn’t be capitalized when used as a preposition, e.g. “Give It to Me”.

(d) is saying that “to” also shouldn’t be capitalized when used to form an infinitive, e.g. “I’d Like to See That”.

(I’m not sure if there are any other uses of “to” that should actually be capitalized. To - English Grammar Today - Cambridge Dictionary only lists the preposition and infinitive uses.)

Came here (after promising a few days ago, sorry) to post this. I also misread the guideline on “To [Infinitive]”, which is fine, it’s a guideline, but how was this decided exactly? The rules seem to follow American English capitalization of title case (since UK English capitalizes every word full stop).

It’s a debated point in American English, AP says capitalize “To [Infinitive]”, MLA says don’t, and so on. Just wondering why it was decided not to. (There are lots of capitalization mistakes here of course, esp. around phrasal verbs, e.g. “Want To”. It is wrong, across the board, to write “I Want to Love You”, because “want” is inseparable from “to”, ditto for say “Let Me Get To Know You”, another fixed expression, but I dunno “All I Want Is to Love You” is correct"? Same as “Ode to Love”? Was the rule written by an anglophone?)

1 Like