Encodedby Tag

How do I use the %encodedby% tag to get release groups name tag in my new directories name?

I don’t fully understand the question or what exactly you are trying to achieve. The encoded by tag and the release group are two totally different things.

Currently %encodedby% is a tag supported by Picard for reading and writing to files, but it is not filled by Picard itself with any data.

The release group name currently is not available in Picard, but could be made available with a plug-in. However, in the majority of cases it is identical to the release name, which is available as the tag %album%

1 Like

@outsidecontext Thanks for replying, I am sorry I did not give better detail. What I am looking for is to add at the end of the string for the directory the release group name as it appears in the original dir, Example:
Motley_Crue-Girls_Girls_Girls_(30th_Anniversary_Edition)-(Remastered)-2017-RELEASE GROUP

As you can see it would be at the very end of the string. I noticed on one of my albums is said it the encoded by field in the lower window of Picard so I thought it could be read as a value and added.

The two of you are talking about different things. Different “release groups” concepts. :slight_smile:

@cyberdoggy is talking about Pirate release groups. These are the team who ripped and uploaded the music to the Pirate Bay or other sharing site. It is text that is often found in the filenames of the music that is downloaded.

The Release Group that @outsidecontext talks of is the one referred to in the documentation here at MB. It is how releases are grouped together so that all versions of an album are together no matter if CD, vinyl, different countries or re-issues.

That means the question is: How does @cyberdoggy get text from the end of a file name chopped and moved into a tag. If I understand it correctly, that is a step beyond what Picard can do with scripting.

Probably safer to not rename the files in that case. The Pirate Scene tend to get the files names fairly tidy and correct. So if you want to know who originally ripped and uploaded the music for you then leave the file names alone and only update the tags.

You may find that Pirate conversations will not go too far in this forum, likely to be in the Ts n Cs somewhere…

Also, @cyberdoggy I tried to leave you a note on your latest Discogs import. That script is still not working correctly for you. Please ask for some help. There are a few tweaks that need to be made to those imports.

1 Like

@IvanDobsky Yes I had problems with the last import and couldn’t understand why the times were not imported also the collection was 3 discs and they did not separate into 3. I figured I would give it a whirl again but as usual, it was not easy and did not work out, kind of frustrating not as simple as I thought.

1 Like

There are no track times at Discogs to import. You would probably have had more success using Picard for uploading the times.

To fix the broken import you are going to need to start by doing some edits on that broken import.

That is a FIVE disk release that you currently have as a ONE big disk release.

Load up the Release and hit EDIT.

Now go to the TrackList page as you will need to add the missing four CDs by hand.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and start by pressing Add Medium a few times to add in the missing FOUR CDs.

Use the TRACK PARSER to copy the full track list from CD 1, then trim it into disc sized chunks and paste it into each of the extra four CDs you need to add.

Then go back and remove the excess tracks from CD 1.

If you need more details - just ask and I’ll expand the help as much as you need.

(Edit: We are probably going to have these two posts split into a new thread as this is a different topic… but this is a worthwhile thread to chase as once you get your head around the few bits that script gets wrong you’ll soon be flying :wink: )

1 Like

Worth a read:
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Beginners_Guide
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/How_to_Add_a_Release

The “how to add a release” is the more useful. It also explains that track parser.

You can see from that how the script is doing part of the work for you, but missing a lot in the process.

Bang back questions as you come across the issues \ confusions.

1 Like

I’m still using fobar2000 for custom tagging. This is one of my sorting patterns for scene releases:

$right($put(DN,%directoryname%),$sub($len($get(DN)),$strrchr($get(DN),-)))|$get(DN)|%filename_ext%

$right($put(DN,%directoryname%),$sub($len($get(DN)),$strrchr($get(DN),-))) will return grp name only but it’ll fail for grps with a hyphen in their name.

You should be able to modify it for Picard, if you don’t want to use foobar2000 for that.

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/tags/#basic_variables
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/scripting/#functions

Almost correct. But they (Warez scene) don’t want to distribute their stuff outside of their own private sites. Anything you see publicly are considered leaks. There’ll always be greedy people who want to make a few quick bucks and risk the safety of everyone else involved.

Sometimes it’s not easy to tell them apart when P2P groups are adopting their naming conventions. Some P2P groups even create their own NFOs with ASCII art.

2 Likes

I just tried to keep the reply short. I know I usually waffle far too much :smiley:

Thanks for the replies guys appreciate it. I just want to keep the releases with their proper groups so I know where they came from.

1 Like

If you want neat filenames, but still keep that original ripping group’s name, have you considered just renaming the .nfo file? Or if no .nfo file then add one with the original name\details.

I like simple solutions :wink:

@IvanDobsky In the nicest sense, I have to tell you I do not understand what you are talking about with renaming the .nfo file. I know what the .nfo file is but do not understand what the output of what your saying does. Feel free to explain I am all ears. And @chaban I checked out your string in foobar2000 and it was neat for sorting the releases.

When you download your music from the torrent source, there are a number of files in the package. Alongside the music (.mp3 \ .flac) files are other extra files about what you have downloaded. Usually the rippers leave a text file with the of “name of the torrent.nfo”. Inside here they usually add details about themselves, about the ripping process, about how quick they are at getting new music out, add in a few hellos to fellow rippers.

It is that text file that seems easiest to just make sure it is named to match the original source.

@IvanDobsky OK, got what you are saying now thanks. :wink:

1 Like

The main idea behind my suggestion is simplicity. Complex scripts can get hard to maintain. And not everyone speaks script language.

By just storing the original torrent name as part of the .nfo file it makes it a very quick way of keeping that information. Especially as many releases do this for you anyway.

1 Like

I am beginning to see that and agree with you. :wink:

1 Like

I am a firm believer in the KISS Principle :smiley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

2 Likes

@chaban Any other scripts you have that are cool to share?