Enabling Chinese (zh-Hant / zh-Hans) UI localization on the main site?

Hey everyone,

Quick question regarding the UI localization: I noticed that neither Traditional nor Simplified Chinese appears in the language selector on the main site (or on beta).

I’ve been contributing translations on Weblate for a bit now — Traditional Chinese (zh-Hant) is currently at 100%, and Simplified (zh-Hans) is sitting around 83% with pretty much all core UI strings covered.

The main reason I’m asking is that I’ve been actively adding Chinese music data lately (artists, releases, labels, etc ), and I’d love to encourage more Chinese-speaking users to join and contribute. Right now, the lack of a native UI makes onboarding folks a bit of a tough sell, especially when so much of the translation is already done on Weblate.

Is there a technical blocker holding back the merge/deployment, or does it just need an admin review? If there’s a specific threshold or workflow we need to follow to get a new locale enabled, please let me know — happy to help test or push things across the finish line!

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi! Turns out zh-Hant cannot be activated right now because of a bunch of bugs MBS-14482. We will work on that, but for now I’ve opened the appropriate pull requests to put zh (aka zh-Hans) on the beta server the next time we update it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick update!

Great to hear there’s a PR on the way for zh-Hans — I’ll definitely keep an eye on beta and help test once it lands. And completely understood regarding the blockers on zh-Hant; I’ve subscribed to MBS-14482 to track progress there.

Really appreciate you looking into this and for all the work on it!

2 Likes