Eligibility Discussion - DVD Films with Music Video Bonus Content

OK, so here’s a strange one for us to think about or consider.

Many DVD’s (and blu-rays) produced over the the decades have included various bits of bonus content (extra content, special features etc) which are mostly not eligible for MusicBrainz, however some DVDs I’ve encountered feature a music video (which usually ties into the movie) as one of these bits of bonus content.

Would this mean we can add those DVD’s to the database, with an entry for the music video?

4 Likes

You mean film DVD and Blu-ray discs?
Because there are already many music videos (DVD, Blu-ray and even some VHS and LD) in MB, hopefully.

I focus on music releases, like concerts or music videos.
I find it would be a pity to have MB recordings for films, just to be able to include a bonus.

But go ahead of you want to have such a release in your MB collection.

1 Like

Yes, definitely!

Not great for sure, but not any worse than the pointless recordings for data tracks on mixed mode CDs.

3 Likes

Sorry to res this but just wanted to give some examples of how I handled this:

50 First Dates, three music videos.

Bridget Jones Diary, two music videos.

Pretty Woman, one music video.

As you can see all of these release entries contain ONLY the content that I think is suitable for inclusion on MusicBrainz. That being a stand-alone music video (often a bonus feature). Other things I might consider would be stand-alone karaoke/sing-a-long featurettes.

I am not (and for record I think these have no requirement to be in our database) recording:

• The motion picture feature itself
  • Any trailers that may appear on the medium
  • Any other video content that may appear on the medium such as commercials, idents, copyright crawl, promo reels
  • Any interactive content like DVD-menus, games, shortcuts to websites

I consider these entities to be fringe releases in that they sit on the very edge of what we consider an acceptable release (like a CD album, or a vinyl single etc.).

I’ve also gone through and tagged other releases I’ve encountered with this folksonomy tag. This isn’t to bring them to light for people to vote to remove, it’s just to bring awareness to how flexible the database can be.

https://musicbrainz.org/tag/fringe%20releases/release

4 Likes

I think you did a very good job adding those DVD releases! The way I see it, their inclusion could prove useful in the long run - and not just for music fans but for cinephiles as well, as the music on DVDs will be neatly documented for future reference. If I may ask, how come you haven’t uploaded a picture the medium itself? Is it because of the non musical nature of the DVDs?

1 Like

Oh I rarely upload scans of the disc itself because I don’t have a flatbed scanner at the moment. Everything goes through a document feed system.

Releases where I upload images of the medium itself usually come from other sources (like Internet Archive, Discogs etc.) :slight_smile:

1 Like