Edits Check Request

We all collect for different reasons. My enjoyment is in the listening. Discogs gives me a “value” of the collection, but no idea what that number is as it is meaningless to me. It is not for sale.

One good thing MB has done is make me open all the cases again and look closer. Appreciate more of the details. Read booklets that had never been read. Check out the credits. Everything is ripped to FLAC, but I want those booklets scanned with them now.

I don’t force open my Book editions. Somethings won’t go on the scanner. But I thank the people who have done so.

My audio system is based around a KODI PC, Expensive HiFi kit, and the portability of taking music out onto the hills with a phone and headphones. Still going to the gigs - but wide variation in styles. In the last month it has been Skunk Anansie and Nick Mason. (Not on the same bill :rofl:)

1 Like

Yes, I no longer even have a scanner. I use a camera. But even with that, there is still the issue of making the source flat.

Sad to say… I have never heard of these individuals. :frowning: I will have to find out.

I would love to see a thread that discusses this. I think it is safe to assume that while some of us spend good money for equipment, we cannot afford to buy and try all that is out there. I would be interested to hear from others what they use, what they like, what they do not like, etc. My main amplification is Yamaha, CD/DVD players Onkyo and speakers Polk Audio.

Do you have a recommended release(s) to start with for these artists?

LOL! Nick Mason → Pink Floyd. I have only little knowledge of that band, thus not recognizing the name.

FYI to all- I added like 60 some images to a Led Zep release. I sure hope it is attached to the right one :slight_smile: Both US and Jap booklets.

You know who Nick Mason is - the Pink Floyd drummer. Back out on tour with his band Saucerful of Secrets playing the early early stuff.

Skunk Anansie are a London rock band from the 90s with a lead singer, Skin, with an amazing voice. YouTube will show you both of the above, but make sure you check out her with “Skin / Pavarotti / Follow me Down”. It is not all anger rage rock with her.

A random concert… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXUXi5iGpqo

My HiFi kit is built around a 5.1 Sound System for TV. A Yamaha RX-A1070 amp in the middle of it, Mordaunt Short speakers. CD player died long ago, so FLAC audio all comes out of a dedicated PC system now via HDMI connections. A Rega Planer 2 record deck sits on the side waiting to be wired up again.

This desktop PC also has separate Yamaha 2.1 speakers attached - not your average computer junk. I like my audio range.

1 Like

Yes, I realized this once I looked him up. I know Pink Floyd well for their music, not I could not name any members… well now I can name one.

Cheers :beers: I tend to like Yamaha amplification, especially those with Burr Brown DACs.

Hmmm, their style/design reminds me of Polk Audio. Nice!

1 Like

Also, importantly, the walls of this Victorian Terrace house are thick so that HiFi can have Skin shaking the windows without upsetting the neighbours too much. Some days the music needs to be let free :wink:

1 Like

Especially with good classical. Amazing dynamic ranges if you get the older masters. Without it, it is not the same. I find the newer masters just not worth it. The remastering is good, but there is real loss.

EDIT: I need to add that the same holds true for real jazz… like the Charlie Parker type stuff. The music is killed with modern compression.

1 Like

True with many types of music. I am a Pink Floyd nut and that just looses too much with bad mastering. Dark Side of the Moon taught me why never to use MP3s or cheap speakers.

Even rock like Skunk Anansie has so much more depth when the audio is done right. Not this annoying “make it loud” mastering that happened in the early days of iPods. Guitar Rock opens up to a different level when mastered correctly.

1 Like

Right - I gotta get out and get some sun. Off to the hills with a bit of this on the headphones: Grasscut - Overwinter

MP3 can produce a good file. M4A can produce a good file, especially if the CoreAudio codec is used. FLAC is great, but there is a diminishing return. Sampling to the 88, 96, 192, etc that some offer is a waste in my opinion. At 48kHz, I have enough headroom for what I do as a basic sound person. No person will hear anything beyond that. If you are a real sound engineer, mixer/remixer/etc, for sure.

My issue with file compression (MP3, M4A, OPUS, etc) is that you are removing data. If it is not done right, you get an altered result. You can hear this if you listen close.

With speakers comes the discussion of transducers. Expensive does not mean good, and cheap does not mean bad. There is a need to remove the branding and look at the actual electronics, just like the DACs in amps. Those “Beats by Dre” are crap. Well not crap, but far overpriced. This gets far beyond this topic.

1 Like

Agree with what you say. Re: MP3, I had ripped most of my CDs at highest quality settings, then bought those Mordaunt Short speakers and Dark Side of the Moon sounded like crap. It was like listening underwater. Put the CD on and there was the missing audio. Maybe my ears are weird, but I can hear what is not supposed to be heard. (But then I can hear the “mosquito sound” they use to annoy teens with)

As to Expense of hardware, totally agree there. Any fashion brand will always be ignored by me as I know they will be a con. Not interested. I want to hear things in a sound room before I buy. I don’t need looks, I want sound. I also can’t afford “the best”, so get what is in pocket for my small house.

1 Like