DVD Video content that isn't explicitly related to music (including stand-up comedy, feature films, television etc.)

I think I tend to agree. if a film includes music as bonus features (from a music video to a whole bonus CD), I think it should be welcomed into MusicBrainz. also if it contains other content that’s well within the scope of MusicBrainz, (like radio drama, stand-up comedy, audiobooks, etc.). I feel like stand-up comedy is within the scope of MusicBrainz, since with few exceptions (mostly acts with props and ventriloquists or with a lot of acting), it’s almost exclusively audio.

one point I do want to bring up, I feel like we should include an empty medium for cases where the audio content is seperate from film content, like how I handled this release of Almost Alice (which was released as a standalone CD outside of Mexico, tho I think the medium titles I added might be a bit extra, lol)

also another example of a fringe film release is The Rise and Fall of Five Iron Frenzy, a documentary about the band made by the band (or at least people close to the band?), and it’s been released on the band’s official store. it does have music content besides, which would bring it within the scope, but I feel like these music documentaries could be made to be within the scope? (also, I think I added this before I knew how to make an empty medium… lol)

3 Likes

I have a European CD copy of Almost Alice, and it is clearly a CD of music. So it is kinda odd seeing it popping up as a bonus CD to an official film release. Can’t see what is wrong with those examples of someone typing in the DVD tracks as well if they want (kinda like this example that was put up for delete this week: Cinema Paradiso (deluxe edition))

The CD of music is the important part to document, but if someone wants to add extra details then good on 'em.

The reason these are added are the music CD. Documenting the rest of the package is still interesting.

The Rise and Fall of Five Iron Frenzy - I think a documentary of a band should be here. It is very much music related and is likely to be on the same shelf as your music collection of that artist. Especially if it was released by the artist.

But a copy of Spinal Tap would be a no as that is Film first…

1 Like

MusicBrainz precedent is that a music CD enclosed in a video product is entered on its own, without the video disc, period. I would still oppose adding a movie as a MB Medium to a MB Release that represents a music enclosure.

(A movie is a “video product”. A concert is “not”, so a concert should be entered in full, with all video disc(s) and/or audio disc(s) in the order intended by the manufacturer.)

while I don’t think I’d go as far as adding recordings for DVD chapters for a film, I do think details for the full package are good to have, including a full list of the mediums (tho prolly not the contents, if they’re not clearly within the scope of MusicBrainz). clarity in this area is better than being technically correct, in my opinion

1 Like

Going through some of the removals that re-invigorated this discussion, musicals seem to be the next sticking point. Whether they are primarily audio or video is 50/50, I agree.

Musical removals 1, 2, 3
Comedy removals 1, 2

(comedy I am comfortable voting to keep in MB, based on discussion so far)

It is puzzling where the line is…

In comedy, I added this audio CD:

It is really just the audio sound track lifted form the DVD\VHS release. But never thought of adding those video versions even though it is really only format shifted.

This is actually a bit odd as that is a very visual comedy.

Don’t see this famous musical film in MB

Could easily say that film is very much the musical product of an artist. Much more so than something like Flashdance

1 Like

Actually it should be added - it’s actually like a long-format music video. And it would be a music video to this release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/7b42faff-5c1c-477d-b43e-f8bd80c52f0f though there’s no such relationship :smiley:

It is “like” a video, but it isn’t. It is very much a film. Created as a film. Scripted storyline.

Just a good example of something that hits a grey area. Trouble is if you add this film then you need to add The Sound of Music.

These are films that include a lot of music, and would not be the same film without music, but I don’t think they are MB releases.

I am a Pink Floyd nut who probably knows that film scene by scene… :crazy_face: It isn’t sitting on my Music shelf at home - it is with my film collection.

Of course it is! And I don’t want to flood MB with films that largely consist of music. But there’s certainly a grey area. Many long-format music videos also have a scripted storyline. But they are still made to promote the music, not as a work on its own. And…

Neither with my music collection. It’s in my Kodi film library and I wouldn’t have any benefit from it being in MB.

just wait until y’all hear about Kpop music videos, which have interconnected storylines, recurring characters, they’re basically movies set to the music, lol

on the topic tho, I could maybe see a place for films by musicians in MusicBrainz, stuff like The Wall, Yellow Submarine, Head, or more recently projects like the story videos for the Gorillaz and Beyonce’s Lemonade (tho I think the latter might be a video album, a slightly different concept). what that place is, I don’t know

Some of these are really making me cringe. I’ll cop to this release:

I hated adding a video track recording of the movie, but I couldn’t leave it with an empty tracklisting and felt that listing the DVD was import to establish the boxset the CD was in.

Completely unrelated, would love to see another *Brainz to cover movies and tv shows… :pleading_face:

I would have added the DVD with empty tracklist, why not? :wink:

I seem to recall it blocked me with an error - otherwise I would have.

Whoa, and it looks like I’ve got a lot of reading to do on that other thread. Guess it’s time for me to cave and learn IRC as well.

1 Like

If you’d prefer to view the IRC via Discord that is also possible, I think @aerozol has the invitation link

1 Like

I would say the video recording for the DVD of this release is fine but the release itself should not be a “deluxe edition” of the soundtrack - better disambiguation would be “movie with bonus CD” or something like that. I̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶R̶G̶ ̶(̶O̶t̶h̶e̶r̶)̶ ← not a good idea: we don’t like to start adding other versions of the film DVD. :wink:

Yes, there is a warning, and you have to select a check box to confirm you do want to create an empty medium. :wink:

1 Like

The unofficial MB Discord is now sliiiiightly less unofficial, with an invite link at the bottom of the IRC wiki!
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/irc

3 Likes

I was definitely in “disambiguation should be exactly what it says on the box” mode at that time. I’ll fix it.

All of my geek cred will just fly out the window when I admit that:
a - I never learned IRC
b - I chose discord over it
:scream:

1 Like

I didn’t know Discord and Wikipedia says:

• IRC 1988
  • Discord 2015

So, it’s just a matter of age, not choice. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A long, long time ago …

There was a time when people lived without smartphones and the Internet.

These are just unnecessary inventions.

1 Like