Duplicating recording artist in recording AR?

Only the quartet, otherwise it feels kinda silly. Normally, I just don’t use the script for those.

OK, thanks. I do tend to agree. I’ll be more careful with the script in future.

Partly, yes, because I prefer this order to be consistent when looking at all recordings of a given work for example. I made a temporary choice early in my scripts (instruments before vocals before orchestra before conductor before generic performer)… and it never changed, although I am absolutely in favor of having community guidelines to decide an order (that might be different).

Regarding your edit, the script could probably be able to detect no change is needed, but there are many cases to consider

Yes, because it is simpler. I had in mind one day to add a “Set only main performers” option (e.g. only conductor and orchestra) to avoid what happened in your edit, but again this is not straightforward, there are many things to consider

There’s no easy way for the script to decide that N performers relations means the group should be used instead. So it’s expected that the script is useless in this case

1 Like

How about this idea? When the user clicks on ‘Show checkboxes’, as well as showing a checkbox by each recording, you show a checkbox by each performer relation. When a recording checkbox is selected, all the performer checkboxes for that recording are automatically selected, but the user is then free to unselect some of them. Then when the user authorizes the edits, you only add the selected performers as credits to the selected recordings.

This wouldn’t solve the ordering problem, but that seems of secondary importance compared with providing an easy way to apply the relationships selectively.

That seems quite complicated for very specific cases, both on the UI standpoint and code (the script doesn’t get the relations from the page itself actually, it has to load them separately). Using the release editor to update the recording artists will be as fast I believe.

Of course, feel free to modify the script for your own use, it’s free and open source