Double exclamation mark emoji vs. Double exclamation mark vs. 2 exclamation marks

I’m hoping someone can explain why each of these is good or bad.

1. :bangbang:︎ [U+203C, U+FE0E] - double exclamation mark emoji
  2. [U+203C] - double exclamation mark
  3. !! [U+0021, U+0021] - 2 exclamation marks

(Unfortunately, Discourse corrupts my post, so I can’t actually write U+203C on this platform.)

(In the cases where I’ve run into these, I am 99% sure that the artist did not intend to interrupt their title with a (differently-colored) emoji.)

1 Like
  1. TEST‼︎
    U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK
    U+FE0E VARIATION SELECTOR-15 (text variation selector)
  2. TEST‼
  3. TEST!!
    U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK
    U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK
  4. TEST‼️
    U+FE0F VARIATION SELECTOR-16 (emoji variation selector)

No reasons to use an emoji version (U+FE0F).
And I don’t like to use any invisible characters anyway, not text variation selector either (U+FE0E).

Then single double exclamation mark character or 2 regular exclamation mark characters… I would leave it up to case by case… :wink:

U+203C is good IMO, I have used it in some MB stuff like 愛をとりもどせ‼ because on the covers it looks like a single character (diagonal twin exclamation mark).
Ah there it displays nicely, when in sentence.

1 Like

I think that is also my answer. I would always go with option three unless I knew for sure the artist was addicted to emojis. For now many other platforms will be like discourse and fail to print the character due to font limitations.

Option 2 is not an emoji, it’s a regular character, but Discourse formats many characters (curly quotes, removes nnbsp, nbsp, etc.),
They have a text cleaner.

Don’t decide from what Discourse accepts or not.

By the way it did accept the character in my post, when part of the work title (see option 2).

1 Like