Dolby Atmos releases

So, should the 2 Dark Side of the Moon releases be merged and just have the Dolby Atmos mix medium as a second medium?

1 Like

The Atmos releases I’ve seen on Tidal (when you can actually find them) have different barcodes and URLs.

1 Like

Sometimes it will be separate releases, sometimes the same where immersive audio might be added retroactively:

So if I understand this right, you pay Apple for one item and get two different ways to play it back. Sounds like one Release with two Mediums to me. Same as that SACD with a Stereo layer and a Surround layer.

Multiple mediums is also tidier to use than the messier answer we have with a BluRay where it is all stuck in the same track list. Two mediums mean 1-10 track numbering each time.

I would find some way to get the Atmos into the name - at least at a disambig level.

That makes it easier to keep separate releases. Let’s see if Apple mimic that method.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s one item to stream or purchase, but different ways to do playback based on your equipment.

i feel like a lot of times (even with the 2 mediums approach) we’d end up with separate releases anyway, though.

• the general streaming version (spotify, deezer, etc), no dolby atmos
  • the apple music version, with the dolby atmos medium

unless i’m misunderstanding how dolby atmos is distributed. but on most platforms you wouldn’t get the option to stream/buy with dolby atmos; if you bought it on qobuz you’d only be able to download the normal version.

Yeah, I just realized that this release shares URLs with Spotify/Deezer and they don’t have Dolby Atmos, so I’m just going to add the stereo medium to the new Apple Music release and move the Apple info to that. This is going to be a very common situation though with Apple Music. Fortunately, many labels do have separate barcodes for Apple Music than Spotify/Deezer, but this one doesn’t.

2 Likes

Started an official style discussion at Apple Music Dolby Atmos style [STYLE-2348]