Does a change in the cover art for a digital release make the old cover release withdrawn?

Look at this example. The cover was changed in the same day, but since different cover art requires new releases, I applied the withdrawn status to the old cover and a relationship to say that it was replaced by the new one. Is that correct? Because the guidelines say that withdrawn is not meant to be used for releases that were removed from streaming services.

1 Like

i’d say this is a correct use of withdrawn (or, i’d hope so, since i’ve done this before haha). releases that changed artist credits are specifically mentioned iirc, so releases that changed coverart don’t seem any different to me!

1 Like

I’ve seen it done both ways. I also know of digital releases that just get multiple images with comments noting when and why it was changed. The music is the important part and the release date then stays attached.

Stick a note in the annotation that explains the cover art change. IMHO that is more interesting that the fact some sheep in the Falkland Islands can’t buy it. :grin: :sheep:

Personally I would not use “withdrawn” as this is more a case that they just change what is stocked on the shelf.

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve done it all three ways actually… lol

I haven’t really figured out where I stand yet on this, but I don’t have an issue with any of the three solutions, as long as when the art was changed is documented

(the third way I just added an annotation after the artist uploaded new art for this release. I already commented on their edit)

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel like this is a very gray area when it comes to digital releases. The “replaced” relationship makes a lot of sense for releases that have been removed from streaming services but then replaced by another release that it’s exactly the same but has a different barcode and URL like these releases. I personally would consider them to be withdrawn and replaced but the guidelines seem to state otherwise…

IIRC the idea of that was that if the artist decides they are no longer having their releases in Spotify or something because they don’t like streaming or digital media anymore that does not mean they are withdrawn. But if a release is taken down to replace it with an amended version, I’d still consider the first release withdrawn and replaced.

6 Likes

As long as ‘withdrawn’ doesn’t affect the groups ‘original release date’? (couldn’t find the answer on the wiki)

1 Like

If the release was a streaming only release, say with some extra tracks and it’s no longer available to stream and listen to, then isn’t it withdrawn? ( I’m assuming that the streaming release can’t be downloaded)

When only 100CDs are stocked, and the stock runs out then it is just not available any more. When a streaming item stops being available then it is just not available any more. Shop chose to stop stocking it. If a streaming shop’s contract with the band runs out then it is just not available, it is not withdrawn. Stick an “ended” tick on the URL.

I thought Withdrawn is for when something more specific causes an artist to stop supplying the product. Something unplanned like having to pull the version from the stores to change a lyric.

Cancelled will affect the release date as “Cancelled” means it was pulled before reaching the stores. Withdrawn means it was on the shelf for at least a couple of days before someone changed their mind and pulled it. It was still released, just now not available. So release date is not affected.

2 Likes

nice and succint!
agreed

1 Like