Documentation of the publishing date range of a BB edition

Just one example of why it is not good to add editions to the database based on websites like goodreads.

I own three copies of Ibsen’s “Nora”, all with the same ISBN number and with similar covers–>

On goodreads you don’t even have the option to list them separately (one of the reasons I fled from there).

But they are so different that they cannot be considered as one BB edition, they not even belong to the same edition group.

One edition not only has a different title, it is also a completely revised version with an afterword by the reviser.

The others look identical, but have a different number of pages and different prefaces and epilogues.

But you can only see all this if you own the edition.

2 Likes

We’re thinking alike by having a show and tell. How did you get your images to position side by side.

1 Like

Are you sure there are no further differences? If not it’s a tough job to decide.

I’m sure there are others. They are the ones that I know about. Here’s another one with a coloured Penguin logo:

a-clockwork-orange

I’m scanning all editions by myself and collect them in folders. It’s just a screenshot of a folder :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good enough reason. My reason is I don’t believe Jeff Bezos would mow my lawn for nothing, so why should I volunteer my time on his website.

3 Likes

I agree the guidelines could and should be more specific.
Wording suggestions welcome !

Perhaps the " 2. Minimal changes on the cover" should just be removed and we should consider each different cover a separate Edition.
I’m not 100% certain of what that brings us (perhaps that will change when we have images of the covers), other than a less ambiguous guideline, but that’s a good point in itself.

What would follow is rewording #3 consequently.
" 3. Reprints of the same Edition with no cover or content changes. You can mention “Reprint – [date]” in the annotations."

But defining “content changes”…here be dragons.
Which of these book parts do we consider unimportant to record the changes of?

1. Front Matter
  • Title Page
  • Copyright Page
  • Table of Contents
  • Dedication/Acknowledgement Pages
  • Foreword
  • Preface or Introduction
  • Epigraph
  1. The Body
  • Prologue
  • Chapters
  • Epilogue
  1. Back Matter
  • Afterword
  • Appendix or Addendum
  • Endnotes
  • Bibliography
  • Author Bio
  • Coming Soon/Read More
  • Also By
4 Likes

You stirred up a hornets’ nest!!
I “wasted” a lot of thought on this subject but I’m too tired right now. I’ll gather my thoughts over the weekend and try to make a suggestion :wink:

2 Likes

That is also why I’ve been avoiding the subject, maybe partly unconsciously, and why the guidelines are so floppy.

1 Like