Do different distribution codes justify creating new releases?

Please consider the following example:

The first one is linked to MusicBrainz entry https://musicbrainz.org/release/18c8fb7d-1302-31e7-9599-b38f411f079b, the second one only exists in Discogs. I have the second one in hand. The only difference between these two is a different distribution code in the back cover: the first one has WE 833, and mine has WE 835. Otherwise these two are exactly the same, down to the same CD matrix print.

I read the thread Alternate CD matrix/runout inscriptions: enough for a new release?, but it didn’t answer my question. Distribution code is not really a manufacturing detail, for me it’s more like legal text.

So I think I could either:

1. Import the second release to MusicBrainz
  2. Just add the Discogs link of the second release to the already existing MusicBrainz entry.

Which option would be better in your opinion?

3 Likes

Different legal text is a different release, and so is this :slight_smile: Make sure to add an appropriate disambiguation!

11 Likes

Thanks for confirmation. I just wanted to make sure if my understanding of “legal text” is right or not. I imported the release from Discogs.

I’m trying to sort out my CD collection, and I must say I’m overwhelmed by the amount of different releases that differ in minute details…

5 Likes