DJ promo releases

okay, sweet~

I can’t quite tell from the pics if these are mashups or DJ-mixes (probably a mix of both), so I’ll answer both those questions.

mash-ups: artist credit would likely be the mashupper. for example, take The Birthday Girl vs. the Internet by Triple-Q.

therefore, if I read it correctly, disc 1 track 2 would be “Waiting on Beautiful” by “Bergwall”. there is a mashup guideline to add track artists to the recording name (not the track name), but I don’t usually see this actually being done.

DJ-mixes: I just found a seemingly similar release: Global Underground 024: Nick Warren in Reykjavik by Nick Warren. it seems you might credit the original artists in this case. if the track has a title, you can add that before the list of songs. for example, disc 1 track 1 could be:

“Powerpop 2018 (part 1): I Know You (Sultan & Shepard remix) / This is Me (Dave Aude remix) / Tip Toe (Wideboys remix) / Leave a Light On (Offset remix) / Feel it Still (Coldabank remix) / For You (Sam Ourt remix) / Barking (R3wire Vs Alphalove remix) / Strangers (Franky Rizardo remix) / Fine Line (James Hype remix)”

and the track artist would be:

“Craig David feat. Bastille / Keala Settle / Jason Derulo feat. French Montana / Tom Walker / Portugal. The Man / Liam Payne & Rita Ora / Ramz / Sigrid / Mabel & Not3s”

the slashes are according to the Titles guideline I posted above. (I know, it’s a bit of a mouthful, lol)

bonus - remixes: I see a few remixes on there too, and in this case those should be credited to the original artist. the remixer can be added as a relationship.

for example, disc 1 track 8 would be titled “Oh, Pretty Woman (DMC 2018 remix)” by “Roy Orbison”, and of course, add DJ Ivan Santana as remixer :wink:

note: you could also standardize “Fe” to “feat.”, provided that’s what it stands for. I know some Picard scripts probably rely on feat. standardization (not 100% sure on that though…). that’s entirely your decision tho~

also, it looks like the Js typo you mentioned might just be part of Roaxx J’s name, lol

now that I see the release, I think you can ignore the ALL CAPS name of UrbanHeadz from this release, as that seems to be a stylistic choice by the designers, considering peoples’ names are ALL CAPSed here too. based on what you said earlier, I’d credit them as UrbanHeadz for this release. entirely up to your judgement tho~

2 Likes

Well, I would have to say a combination of both, agreeing with you. However, I do want to add that I have recently been told that a “DJ-Mix” is for a release that is a non stop mix, and in this case, it is not. The mixing is limited to track by track… although that is not the case on all of such releases like this.

Normally I do agree, and considered, the page long title you noted, I think it is excessive, and, the release itself does not name the recording that. However, I understand this is not a normal case, just trying to think it through. The name I have for CD1 TR1 is:

• “ALLSTAR - Powerpop 2018 (Part 1)”.

and CD1 TR8:

• “Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman (DMC 2018 Remix)”, which matches your thought as well.

Yes, in this case “Fe” foes mean “feat”.

Yes, you are correct on the typo. I missed this in the metadata, corrected now.

The caps is a standard in what I usually see, where DJs (or the designers) publish their names in all caps on releases.

Thanks for sharing your points. It seems you are suggesting I try the add and ask how it turned out? One think that sticks in my mind is the names the release comes with is designed for the user of the release, whereas the details on the back differs from the front as it adds further detail. In MB, the logic is more opposite, highlighting the actual artists vs the DJ.

I have a few DJ Rectangle releases that were far easier than this. I could simply credit the release to DJ Rectangle and have a “track list” of the artist and title of the songs as they appear in the mix. In this case, it would require subtracks. Although subtracks (index points) are perfectly within standards, MB does not support that. That is a different topic though, but it is worth noting it is in the Red Book Spec and is used quite often, CD and digital.

EDIT: I wanted to add an example of subtracks on such releases, on this Discogs reference to a different but similar release:
https://www.discogs.com/release/8031830-Bowie-I-Love-Bowie-Classic-Mixes-Volume-1

If there is a way to do so, I can also share the listing I have, along with the metadata. Although for these release, the metadata is not as it came with. It comes sometimes with none, incomplete, generic, etc metadata, so it is always changed, especially when using the files and you have your software write to the files vs a database.

I appreciate the detailed response and your time to look and respond.

right, it’s not a DJ-mix release, but it looks like some of the individual tracks are DJ-mix recordings. I believe you can use the style from the DJ-mix release on the tracks which that applies to.

you don’t have to, of course.

(oops, I left this in my drafts for almost two weeks… lol)

1 Like