DJ/Promo/Non commercial releases

This thread is a continuation of a few others. I feel these issues are all related, so I wanted to contain the conversation in one place. Here are three more releases, as provided to me:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Add the thread we bailed from as the topic went OT

The beauty of a unique release is it is harder to be wrong… but it is also fun researching all those little artists. I always search Discogs and link across. I search via DuckDuckGo and related artists. Hunting down fan sites and find those connections. Yeah - some of these bands probably only released that one track that appears on this CD… but that is just as important as the Elvis back catalogue.

(but trying to disambiguate “Big Mike” will be a challenge… :rofl: I think there may have been a few of them around over the years…)

This is what I mean about a release that takes more research time than edit time. But is so much more satisfying to add than yet another copy of a release everyone else already has.

2 Likes

Yes, agreed. My point here is have such information as posted above. I want to add this as it is great historical data that I am quite sure that no other editor can supply.

EDIT: I do need some help though on how to add such contents. MB does not really accept such things.

What’s giving you trouble exactly with the above?

At a glance they don’t necessarily look like promo releases, just DIY small run releases, but you know them better :thinking:

1 Like

Who is the artist? I can for sure trace it to the original work, but this is not that.

I would hesitate to say this, although I understand the basis you say it on. These releases were used heavily back in the day. I would go as far to sat that they were a part of Mexican-American culture, with use on block parties and such.

For what? Sorry I don’t know anything beyond the pictures you’ve posted, which don’t say if these are chopped up or remixed or originals or whatever.

These sound like ‘official’ releases.

Ok, I am sorry. These are edits, not at all in the liking to the original recordings. Adding them as such would misrepresent.

Not at all. Is there a means that I can share these releases for you, and others, to experience personally?

EDIT: I can host these files on one of my servers, but I will need to have access restricted.

I’m guessing these are similar to DJ Screw releases? Which are a total mess so probably not helpful at all :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can provide some info on what kind of mix it is (maybe it fits one of the terms here) the style guide @reosarevok might be able to provide some guidance.

Did you have a look at the link for what MB calls a ‘promo’? If someone was giving away CD’s on the street it’s still ‘official’, as it was distributed. Promo is very specific. Or is there some reason you think these don’t count?

2 Likes

LOL! Yes, I know DJ Screw.

No, these were for purchase, not free. I guess you are right, these are not really promo. Hmmm, I need to think more.

2 Likes