Disc IDs from Hybrid SACDs

I have lots of reasons why I’m not doing that.

The original developer released the component over 10 years ago and most people will be using that as it’s still available for download.
Most people are lazy and use it to fetch tags only.
Hardly anyone will be aware that I’m updating it.
It correctly reads the PREGAP when you add a CD to a playlist like this…

It correctly reads the PREGAP when you use a CUESHEET generated by EAC like this…

It correctly generates the TOC for most CDs in my collection that are ripped to single files.

Yes there are instances where it won’t account for non-standard PREGAPs but if you look at this example…

That is not caused by foo_musicbrainz!!

2 Likes

I think a better solution would be for foo_musicbrainz to use libdiscid rather than to remove its feature altogether. We want it to be easier for people to add data (incl. Disc IDs) to MusicBrainz, not harder—but we also want them to submit correct data. So either any bugs in foo_musicbrainz should be fixed (it’s good to have multiple implementations of a standard!) or they should switch to use libdiscid for Disc ID calculation (it’s the official and canonical implementation and it’s good to support the upstream of that!).

Either way, as long as the lineage is observed via edit notes or some such, I’m fine with any outcome, as we can go back and determine “bad clients” later. Only issue with that is that it’s most often not given in edit notes what was used to calculate the Disc ID. :confused:

2 Likes

It would be nice that Add ISRCs edits could include Client parameter, like Add ISRCs edits do.

3 Likes

The reason why it can’t is that Disc ID adds can’t be done via the web service. You can only add a Disc ID by looking up a Disc ID and the editor then has to go from there to either add a new release or add the ID to an existing release. Any data submitted from the client generating the ID will have been long lost during this process before you actually get to the edit. Maybe there are ways of passing an URL parameter or something around until the edit, but it seems a bit hackish. But maybe. :slight_smile: @Bitmap/@yvanzo/@reosarevok?

2 Likes

Oh yes you’re right!
I didn’t think of that.

I will just add that I really really don’t want anything to generate disc IDs based on anything other than a real TOC. They are supposed to be a source of truth.

3 Likes

I generally agree, but I’m OK with a few other generally-good sources too: ripper logs (such as EAC or whipper) and cue files come to mind.

I’d also love to see the TOC idea extended to DVD title/chaptering patterns…

4 Likes

It looks like mark2k3 has deleted his github repository along with the foobar2000 component, so I guess that’s that.

2 Likes

The development of foo_musicbrainz2 os being continued by @MordredKLB, see

Other code by marc actually seems to be lost, though :frowning:

3 Likes