Disc ID for enhanced CD

I have a CD copy of Perennial Favorites by the Squirrel Nut Zippers. It’s an enhanced CD - 12 audio tracks plus a data track. When I look up the disc with Picard, it gives me disc ID _jI4UgPrJf4dV8NUULbCSFbZZYU- which is linked to a 12 track release.

However, there’s also a 13 track release marked as “enhanced” which has a 13 track disc ID .j54AtDEJU5IOOnjAx3YV4XlG7Q- attached.

The 12-track release is linked to a discogs entry that’s marked “enhanced”. In fact discogs doesn’t list any non-enhanced version. My suspicion is these are really the same version but due to vagaries in disc ID generation they were separated.

Is there a way to make Picard include the data track when computing the disc ID? Or are there other tools to calculate a disc ID that include it?

The 13 track disc ID is invalid, disc IDs by definition do not contain trailing data tracks. It must have been generated by a buggy tool. If data tracks contain actual relevant content the data track feature in the release editor should be used.

In this case the 12 track CD likely should be changed to be an enhanced CD. Whether the contents of the data track should be added as additional tracks depends on the kind of content.

2 Likes

I can’t find the addition of the disc ID in the edit history, so I’m guessing it was added a long time ago.

In this case the 12 track CD likely should be changed to be an enhanced CD. Whether the contents of the data track should be added as additional tracks depends on the kind of content.

It’s probably video, in as much as it prompts me to install Quicktime. But I don’t want to install Quicktime, so I’m only guessing.

Doesn’t seem like I can install QT even if I wanted to, but here’s a description of the data track’s contents from an amazon reviewer:

Considered by many critics to be the most elaborate ECD ever created, this ground-breaking interactive extravaganza created over a three year period contains the following:
18 minutes of live performance video consisting of 15 different live clips including 8 songs from the “Perennial” CD, a backstage montage taken from eight shows, a documentary on recording “Perennial Favorites” at Kensway, the MTV banned “Put A Lid On It” video in its entirety and other funny stuff.

I’m thinking of adding the data track with the title [Interactive section] , any feedback?

I guess another option would be to not add the data track, but add an annotation describing the “interactive section”.

1 Like

I would do the annotation for now, because for adding the data section correctly you would enter one track per relevant content (e.g. video).

I wonder how they fit 8 songs + all the other stuff into 18 minutes. Can hardly be complete songs given their average song duration is somewhere above 3 minutes :smiley:

Removing Disc ID here:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/57466100

I’ll leave merging etc. for y’all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have managed to get old QuickTime videos to playback through VLC. Just copy them off of the CD and play. But it is a bit rough as it shows us how far we have come in video tech as these types of videos are often less that 320x200pixels (I have some at 240x180pixels !)

1 Like

There are .mov video files and .aif audio that I can play individually. (As outsidecontext suspected, they are excerpts rather than full performances.) However, I can’t run the “interactive” feature, so I don’t know how they’re presented and ordered to add them as individual tracks. Therefore I’ve added an annotation to the 12 track release, and changed it to Enhanced CD: https://musicbrainz.org/edit/57480866

Once Freso’s disc ID removal goes through, I will remove the data track from the 13-track release, and once that goes through, I’ll merge the two.

1 Like

Those bits are a lost cause now. Often made in ancient Flash. There is another potential Web Archive project in the fixing of Enhanced CDs.

Have you tried checking if some of the ini files are readable? Maybe some hints as to order in there? If not, put them in alphabetical as I doubt anyone else is able to work out the order now either. Unless they still have their old PC from the 1990s.

(Funnily enough… I am just about to take an old 1990 Time Machine up to the tip. I think you have just come up with one of the only uses for it!)

Good ideas, but I’ve decided it’s more trouble than it’s worth (to me). I’ve just left it at an annotation.

1 Like