Digital releases: Merging? / Long country list? / Just [Worldwide]?

These mockups look very nice look very nice! I like the grouping by region, that’s a good interface.

That would be good (and still needed even with a nice UI), but maybe in a different thread?

2 Likes

quite possibly physical media sold on Bandcamp? that’s the only case I can think of offhand…

that said, I don’t see any issue just using [worldwide] either, as in my mind, that implies it’s an internet release. (possibly a minority opinion)

might be a bit early to ask, but are you proposing adding a separate field for this? because I could see it working either that way, or as special handling for releases that include [worldwide]/[web] in their release events list.

also, do we know if the continents/regions are consistent worldwide? because that looks reasonable to me here in the United States, but it might be different than someone in Africa. (I’ve also never put music out on a streaming service tho… lol)

Wow, I like this. Really nice mock-up.

I believe I asked this above and the answer is yes! https://musicbrainz.org/search?query=format%3ACD+AND+country%3AXW&type=release&limit=100&method=advanced

Yeah, sometimes the artists own website also ships Worldwide.

1 Like

I like this idea a lot (especially the map).

I think this solution leaves us with one more problem though: the release date. If I understood this correctly, the huge country lists are based on the countries a digital store sells a release in at the moment the edit is created. That list of countries can change at any moment, which means that a release at 1-1-2022 with Albania as one of the release countries might not have been available in Albania on 1-1-2022.

This is actually my main problem with the huge country lists: it pretends to be extremely precise, but it is really a random snapshot. There is no way to check if the release date has any relation to the release countries, so why put them together? Are release events really the best place for this information? If we want to show where a release is available for download (which is interesting), shouldn’t we give that information it’s own place on the page (with the nice map, preferably)? And either cache the information (monthly or weekly) or query those stores whenever someone opens the page, so the information is always accurate and up to date.

11 Likes

Yes, but is it worldwide then?
Every label will sell their products worldwide, but it’s not a worldwide release, only because of the fact that is shipped worldwide.

Smaller labels have often replaced their own web shops with Bandcamp. I wouldn’t call such releases worldwide though.

It would reduce the number of worldwide releases significantly. But there are still very few cases where “worldwide” probably comes closest to reality.
(I like the mockups! :+1:)

1 Like

I still think on digital releases there should only be 1 date (blank country with date), the date first released anywhere. Then just lists all the countries that it is available without dates. This way we don’t have to know when a service was first available, etc. It’s impossible to know when a release was first available in a country without adding the release the day or at least near the day it came out. Especially on releases before a few years ago.

7 Likes

Some excellent feedback! Some updates based on that:

Non-web release:

Web release:

With worldwide distro unchecked:

/

Link to first drafts

7 Likes

“This is a digital/web release” feels like its duplicating the medium format information.

2 Likes

I imagine you would be greeted by this on the next tab:

(greyed out)
So yes, duplicating information, but no extra clicks. Thoughts?

Edit: now that I think about it, there’s probably no need for the digital/web button, and we could just have a ‘Distribution’ panel at the bottom for all releases… derp. Does that sound better/is that what you’re thinking?

5 Likes

MusicBrainz supports DVD and Blu-ray as media types. Why not match the region lock codes with the release event?

… because… that’s what this market availability licensing stuff is all about.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t feel like I want to do that. I already have dozens of far more reasonable Style tickets open that I’d like to see moved somewhere first before tackling something that will consume more time than all of those tickets combined that people are likely to never agree on anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, this is the real problem that I have with them. It is a point in time, not the actual release date. Sometimes, they wildly conflict with each other.

For ‘new’ streaming releases, this might be fine. But for a given release which popped up on streaming sites in 2014, who knows.

6 Likes

Please make sure whatever changes you make that other programs than just Picard can obtain the data.

Well, if Picard can others can as well. Picard has no special access to data.

3 Likes

Another lengthy discussion:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/90325400

See also preceding one:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/90272519

Among other it revolves around uninhabited islands.

1 Like

idk if this has been mentioned, but as a distributor for a label, generally we set worldwide or “+WW” (with the option to remove it from any specific countries) as the country its available in rather any actual list of countries, so 99.9% non-region exclusive digital releases are meant to be available worldwide. the actual wordwide-ness might be lost in translation depending on the system of the distributing company & the platforms it get posted to.

and in my opinion having every digital release be a list of 190-210 countries because in not available in x amount of territories where internet may not even exist only really removes/hides information. a “worldwide minus these countries” would be useful for region-exclusive releases such as (essentially) worldwide except north america, or except oceania, or except germany/austria, which are quite common for some labels. and thats also how it works when distributing digital releases

12 Likes

i actually think having insight as to the intentions of an average label is very helpful, thank you.

in addition i have to say i really like aerozols mockup for a web distribution option, altho i vastly prefer the may 13 revision to the may 14 revision

3 Likes

Did someone write a script to replace a long list of release events by just one worldwide?

I came to this case:

But it is released at the same date, with same barcode, by same label on Flood | Stella Donnelly

And since we usually consider Bandcamp releases worldwide this long list of 204 countries/dates can be replaced by one.
But how to do it? Did I miss a useful script?

5 Likes

Not a userscript, but I have a bookmarklet to do that:

javascript:$('.remove-release-event:not(:first)').click();void $('#country-0').val(240).trigger('change');

Never published that one in my GitHub repo as I only needed it once or twice so far :sweat_smile:

Edit: Added to my repo as Mark Release As Worldwide.

8 Likes