Darker Musicbrainz site

So I’ve been waiting for the UI overhaul to maybe fix this issue, but it looks like it’s gonna take some time still.

I gotta say, editing on 27" of blinding whiteness is killing my eyes:

Does anyone know of a script or some browser extension that could dim the backgrounds at least a little? I already tried ‘Turn Off the Lights’, but unfortunately it breaks the MB formatting :frowning:

4 Likes

In Opera we used to have user CSS for that.
On current browsers I think there is an extension called Stylish, it something like that…

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this!

Pre-made style + some tweaking. Ain’t exactly pretty, but it’s definitely bearable now:

5 Likes

Maybe you can share the style and tweaks you used so others who might be interested can copy it? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Style:

Extension:

The only things I tweaked were colours to my liking by trial and error:

And as you can see, there’s a color picker beside every hex value right inside the code, so I think it’s the best to just spend 15 minutes like me and play with the values. I honestly picked them randomly until I liked the results. It’s all live editing, so you can place the tabs side by side and see the differences immediately :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You can also check out this chrome extension. Works like charm!

4 Likes

You can also check out this chrome extension. Works like charm!

Wow! I really like the extension. Thanks.

There’s also Dark Reader version for Firefox.

3 Likes

I come back here to seriously discourage you using this extension as Stylish was reported as spyware.

Use what @Skeebadoo advised: The open source extension Stylus, available for Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

7 Likes

Stylus working “out of the box” on Firefox Android.

Didn’t know I needed it until I tried it.

3 Likes

Do the MB designers read this? If the CSS would contain variables making a Stylish entry would be a lot easier. I like most of the dark grey orangish style but not everything.

1 Like

I made an MBS ticket for this a while back. Thought it might be appreciated here.

3 Likes

I am using the Firefox extension Dark Reader on MB now but it still needs tweaking. The styling is a bit odd (or old).