Crash with "Add New Tag…" in version 2.5.5 snap

Any one else seeing Picard crash when using the “Add New Tag…” option? I am using the snap package on Ubuntu, and I think it started happening with version 2.5.5, but I can no longer revert to an older version snap to make sure. I tried both FLAC and MP3 files, and I tried deleting ~/snap/picard, so should not be related to configuration.

1 Like

We have a known crash if you right click on an empty area of the metadata box. This will be fixed in the next release.

The workaround is to instead right click on a tag.

To make sure this is the same issue you experience, could you run Picard from a terminal with

snap run picard

Then cause the crash. There should be some error output in the terminal, please post it here.

2 Likes

I think this is different. I think I was right clicking on a tag before, and I just tried again and it did crash. It also happens when I use the shortcut (Alt+Shift+A). I can edit and save existing tags fine, just not add new tags.

Here’s the output:

$ snap run picard

(python3:8175): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:59:39.135: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1565:23: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name

(python3:8175): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:59:39.142: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3615:25: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name

(python3:8175): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:59:39.144: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4077:23: 'font-feature-settings' is not a valid property name
Gtk-Message: 12:59:39.196: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 12:59:39.200: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket
propsReply "An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=\"method_call\", sender=\":1.121\" (uid=1000 pid=8175 comm=\"/snap/picard/202/usr/bin/python3 /snap/picard/202/\" label=\"snap.picard.picard (enforce)\") interface=\"org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties\" member=\"GetAll\" error name=\"(unset)\" requested_reply=\"0\" destination=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" (uid=0 pid=1339 comm=\"/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon \" label=\"unconfined\")"
nmReply "An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=\"method_call\", sender=\":1.121\" (uid=1000 pid=8175 comm=\"/snap/picard/202/usr/bin/python3 /snap/picard/202/\" label=\"snap.picard.picard (enforce)\") interface=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" member=\"GetDevices\" error name=\"(unset)\" requested_reply=\"0\" destination=\"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager\" (uid=0 pid=1339 comm=\"/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon \" label=\"unconfined\")"
"Object path cannot be empty"

(python3:8175): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 12:59:42.262: Error creating IO channel for /proc/self/mountinfo: Permission denied (g-file-error-quark, 2)
Gtk-Message: 12:59:42.802: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/picard/202/lib/python3.6/site-packages/picard/ui/edittagdialog.py", line 137, in tag_selected
    self.add_or_edit_value()
  File "/snap/picard/202/lib/python3.6/site-packages/picard/ui/edittagdialog.py", line 156, in add_or_edit_value
    self.edit_value()
  File "/snap/picard/202/lib/python3.6/site-packages/picard/ui/edittagdialog.py", line 141, in edit_value
    if item and not self.value_list.isPersistentEditorOpen(item):
AttributeError: 'QListWidget' object has no attribute 'isPersistentEditorOpen'
Aborted (core dumped)

Thanks a lot. Yes, this is different. I will see to get this fixed.

Looks like the culprit is the Qt version used for the snap. But as we aim to support back to Qt 5.7 we should get this fixed properly (or update Qt for the Snap).

2 Likes

Fix is in review. We’ll get this fixed with the next release:

2 Likes

The fix has been deployed. If you want you can try the latest build from the edge channel, which includes the fix.

2 Likes

Yes, it works now in the edge channel version. Thanks much and happy new year!

1 Like

Still no more crashes with this, which it’s always good :wink:

But since this fix (I think), selecting a tag from the Add New Tag… popup is not working right.

For example, if I want to add the artistsort tag, which I often do, I’ll open the dialogue by either the context menu or shortcut, the start typing a r t i s. At some point, the menu will list Artist, Artists and Artistsort, so I press down arrow twice to move the selection the Artistsort. But when I press enter, Artists is selected, not Artistsort. If I don’t use the arrow keys at all, I can select the correct tag with a mouse click.

If that doesn’t make sense, I can make a screencast.