Corrupt Installer for Mac (version 2.3.1 macOS 10.12+ (x86_64))

This then is the issue discussed here. We should have a fix for this in the next release. Until then you’ll need to stick with the 2.2.3 version.

3 Likes

[quote=“Elv65, post:16, topic:470673”]
I see and wondering where the version info comes from
[/quote]ctrl / right click on the Picard Application and Show Package Contents > Contents > Info.plist

You can find this either inside the Picard application in your applications folder or inside the Picard app within the DMG. Note to make changes to this file inside your Applications folder you will first have to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). If any changes are made the App will then need to be re codsigned.

How to turn off System Integrity Protection in macOS

1. Boot your Mac in Recovery Mode. (Command-R)
  2. Click Utilities.
  3. Select Terminal.
  4. Type csrutil disable
  5. Press Return
  6. Reboot as normal

To check SIP status

1. Launch Terminal
  2. Type csrutil status
  3. Press return

SIP has now been disabled. Note this also bypasses kext signing and your system is potentially left vulnerable.

To re-enable SIP

Follow the steps above but instead of typing csrutil disable type csrutil enable

As for the ‘app is corrupted and should be sent to the trash’ warning this is a Gatekeeper issue so the app will have to be de-quarantined or disable Gatekeeper first and then re-download the App and install again. Disabling SIP is also a workaround for this as it bypasses the kext signing. Sometimes its necessary to disable both SIP and Gatekeeper to workaround restrictions. I know, this works against the grain and not how Apple should do things but Apple are becoming like Windows LOL

It’s all down to Apples false sense of security to drive money their way via the App store and developer fees. Yes there are security benefits for those who are not that knowledgable or lapse about things but the negatives outweigh the positives and quite frankly Apple have turned into an arse. Saying that, malware and ransomware attacks are on the rise so some people may apreciate this comfort blanket.

Thanks! Your tip worked for me, to install 2.4.4 on MacOS 10.12.6. Picard now starts up OK - I haven’t tried anything else so far! I frequently record live music (choir or handbells) with a Tascam digital audio recorder and then edit it with Audacity, so the metadata always needs to be edited to be useful…

This issue seems to be caused by Gatekeeper and wrongly set com.apple.quarantine attributes on the app. Why this wrong attribute is set is currently unknown, but the solution is to clear this flag using the xattr tool. See the following FAQ entry for details:

Otherwise this is out of our control. So far only users on macOS 10.12 and 10.13 seem to be occasionaly affected by this.

2 Likes

An OSX 10.13.6 user here with the same problem. Tried latest versions (2.4.3 and 2.4.4) with same results. Ended here (after quite a lot of searching) and the “xattr -cr” fixes the problem.

Version 2.5 not solving the problem. Have to „xattr -cr“ to start it.

1 Like

FYI been using this for years on a Mac and finally decided to upgrade today…uh oh:

“MusicBrainz Picard.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

Looks like the newest version has not addressed this problem? I’m on OS X 10.12.

:frowning:

Please see http://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/troubleshooting/macos_startup_error.html

1 Like

Right, I saw this but thought it had to be done each time the app was started…? Just once then?

Yes, just once and only if you encounter this problem.

2 Likes

For many releases now, all we get (as seen on the MacUpdate.com comments) is “Appears to be damaged - please move to the trash.” So - useless on MacOs 10.12, 10.13 at least.

Please see the FAQ at.http://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/troubleshooting/macos_startup_error.html on how to fix this.

1 Like

I am in the process of updating our macOS builds to be able to build with the latest available dependencies again. I would appreciate if you could test the following build for macOS 10.12 / 10.13 and report on how it runs and whether it still causes the corrupt app message.

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/artifacts.picard.uploadedlobster.com/MusicBrainz-Picard-2.5.6.dev1%2B107.6ed4aabb.20201218085803-macOS-10.12.dmg

On my 10.12 test install it runs (but so do the previous release builds). Code wise this build is identical to 2.5.5. The changes are that latest PyInstaller 4.1 and Python 3.9.1 where used to build this app.

2 Likes

Here is a build of the latest master branch. From the build configuration this is what we likely will use for the 2.6 release, so I would appreciate if someone could check whether this fixes the issues with the app being reported as damaged:

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/artifacts.picard.uploadedlobster.com/MusicBrainz-Picard-2.5.6.dev1%2B118.293c2c73.20201226143402-macOS-10.12.dmg

I need your help here as I cannot reproduce this issue on my installs.

2 Likes

Thanks SmilleyMiley I just loaded MusicBrainz 10.5.5 on Mac OS 10.13.6 and your solution allowed me to run the app.

I have some update on what is happening: For some files of the app the code signing signature is placed inside an extended file system attribute com.apple.cs.CodeSignature. This signature after signing is in the files I looked at a bit over 8 KiB in size. When copying the app from the DMG image to the local hard disk on macOS 10.12 (and I assume 10.13 as well) it gets truncated to exactly 4 KiB. This results in a broken signature, hence when trying to launch the app Gatekeeper reports it as broken.

Now interestingly I have not found any discussion of this issue, and currently I don’t know a way to solve this. I see the following options going forward, none of which is fully satisfying:

1. We find a proper fix. This of course would be the ideal solution. As for now I don’t know one.
  2. We do not sign the app for 10.12 / 10.13 and provide a separate signed app for 10.14 and later. This is not perfect, but in 10.12 / 10.13 it is till easily possible to run unsigned apps and users are probably aware how to do this. It is not great, but probably better have the “App from an unidentified developer” dialog then the “App is damaged”.
  3. We stop supporting 10.12 / 10.13. I would like to avoid this for now, as I know many of you are stuck with older versions.
  4. We stay with the status quo, with affected users having to apply the xattr workaround.

Any opinions on this? I tend to option 2, at least unless or until we find a proper fix.

See also my comment at PICARD-1763.

3 Likes

I think I got it solved! Please someone verifies this with

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/artifacts.picard.uploadedlobster.com/MusicBrainz-Picard-2.6.0.dev1%2B127.e55f134b.20201231150409-macOS-10.12.dmg

I am pretty sure I could finally fix this annoyance. The fix is a combination of moving to the latest PyInstaller 4.1 and also moving the Qt translation files to Contents/Resources instead of Contents/MacOS (where they are placed by default).

4 Likes

It’s working! No more " You should move it to the Trash" message at launch.

1 Like

Hurray! Thanks a lot for testing. I’ll see to get a release soon.

Happy new year to everyone!

3 Likes

We have released Picard 2.5.6, which should finally fix this problem:

The upcoming Picard 2.6, for which we have planned to release a beta soon, will provide additional improvements to macOS packaging.

4 Likes