Correct disambiguation comment for DJ-mix?

Following on from discussion here:

I thought it would be good to get some consensus because it seems people still have different opinions on this. Here’s a summary of the suggested rules I’ve heard so far:

By default use part of “{insert release title}” DJ-mix

If there’s multiple releases with the same name and not part of the same release group then use:
part of {insert DJ name} “{insert release title}” DJ-mix

An example of this format would be the DJ series “Late Night Tales” (although I’d argue that they should include the artist name in the title - Another Late Night / Late Night Tales - MusicBrainz).

Another suggestion is to always include the DJ Name, so they’d all be:

part of {insert DJ name} “{insert release title}” DJ-mix

So I guess the question is what should be best here?

In each case you are either removing information (which goes against the point of disambiguation) or replacing typographically correct punctuation with ANSI, citing your own edits as justification. Also, the correct term in MB terminology is “DJ-mix” (with hyphen).

1 Like

Thanks @rafwuk (and @jesus2099 for the comments). Based on both of your feedback it sounds like adding the actual DJ into the comment would be best. With regards to the correct punctuation/ANSI - do you mean changing the double quotes to be “ vs " ?

Behind the scenes I created a simple user script to generate the comment, so it’s easy for me to fix in that. It also (based on some other feedback) warns if the recording is used on more than release. If I get it fixed to match the expected standards then I’ll upload it and share it on the forums.

2 Likes

For initial comment I wouldn’t mind, it would even be correct, but it’s a pity losing something better (curly double quotes, DJ names) when they are already there.

Maybe you could improve Bitmap’s almighty Set recording comments for a release with this check feature, when you have time and if it’s possible? :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe you could improve Bitmap’s almighty Set recording comments for a release with this check feature, when you have time and if it’s possible? :wink:

Definitely - I forked that one to get started, but I think my changes could be easily folded back in.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t like the “part of” disambiguations. I do something closer to Live recordings style. For example,

• BUTTERFLY (DJ-mixed: 夏物語2008)
  • BUTTERFLY (DJ-mixed: Dance Dance Revolution Party Collection SUPER NONSTOP MEGAMIX)
  • BUTTERFLY (DJ-mixed: Dance Dance Revolution 2nd MIX ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK NONSTOP MEGAMIX)

This also eliminates the superfluous quotation marks by using the colon from Live recordings style.

• Butterfly (part of “ZIP Mania Best” DJ‐mix)
2 Likes

I like the “part of” part of the comment, without which I would not imagine that the previous and next tracks do blend with this one.

1 Like

Split it out into a separate thread here: Correct disambiguation comment for DJ-mix?

@jesus2099 Also submitted the PR to “set recording comments” user script: https://github.com/murdos/musicbrainz-userscripts/pull/432

1 Like