Copyrights holders are often persons

I was not suggesting that we record everything copyright on the Work, I also think most of the time the Edition is the right place to record this, especially if copying that information from the copyright page of said edition.
I was proposing that we could also have the ability to add copyright information on the Work if it cannot be completely recorded in an Edition or succession of Editions.

As an example, I have here a book (We by Yevgeny Zamyatin) stating on the copyright page that the translator (Clarence Brown) owns the copyright for the translation and introduction.
I suggest that to enter this I could create a new Work for the introduction with the relationship “Clarence Brown owns the copyright to Introduction to We”

The page even provides the copyright history of the original english translation from the first publication, which again I would have a hard time capturing on an Edition.

I would add that in examples where the author is the sole copyright of the text content (i.e. the Work in BB), it wouldn’t make sense and would be incorrect to have a relationships “Author owns copyright for Edition”.
The author does not own copyright of the Edition, only of the contents, and I don’t see a good way of recording that on the Edition itself.

This looks interesting but I don’t think it can/should be done by the users.

yes something like that. This is a kind of metadata which should be “calculated” from all of the available editions by a script.

Yes this is an example where it might make sense to relate a copyright to a work (As long as the translator doesn’t die and leave the copyright to his heirs :wink:

But I think I understand now why we might need a work/copyright relationship, thx…