Clustering Same Album Name, Different Artist

Relevant to this issue.

There are two scenarios regarding this that I can think of when clustering.

1. Two separate albums with the same name by different artists
  2. One album which two different artists worked on

Currently Picard only accounts for scenario 2. However, we can’t limit clustering to having the same album AND artist as in scenario 1, as this would compete with scenario 2.

One option could be a toggle, where you can choose in the settings how you would like Picard to cluster same album names by different artists.
We could also have a pop-up window alerting the user that this problem has occurred, and having them manually cluster those songs.

Neither of these are perfect solutions. What solution do any of you have in mind?

It’s a bit difficult to really get this right for everyone, agreed. As a Picard developer there are two things I have been thinking about:

1. Manual clustering: I personally really would like to be able to just select a couple of files and cluster them explicitly.

2. Add some option to allow clustering by folders: A lot of people already have their files organized into album folders, but Picard only uses the tags. This could be an alternative option to the default clustering (“Cluster by folder”).

EDIT: Just noticed this is a very old post that somehow resurfaced recently :smiley:

5 Likes

@chaban is cleaning up tags. This counts as editing a post :wink:

1 Like