Classification of piano

a piano is actually a percussion instrument.
it is a common misconception.

Actually Wikipedia disagrees with you: acc. to Hornbostel–Sachs, the Piano has the classification 314.122-4-8 which is “simple chordophone with keyboard”, chordophone being of course “musical instrument that makes sound by vibrating strings” that is, a String Instrument

The way the strings are put into vibration is however through “percussion” i.e. hitting them.

Still sound is made by the strings vibrating, not by the instrument itself (or a membrane) vibrating (which afaik is the case for percussion instruments.)

3 Likes

Only when someone’s playing Liszt. :wink:

2 Likes

No, Wikipedia disagrees not, at least not in the link you provided (Piano):

Although an acoustic piano has strings, it is usually classified as a percussion instrument rather than as a stringed instrument, because the strings are struck rather than plucked (as with a harpsichord or spinet); in the Hornbostel–Sachs system of instrument classification, pianos are considered chordophones.

(It is further categorized bottompage as both chordophone and persussion (also Rhythm section among others).)

But even if it did – and it may very well enough for me to actually have written this answer without checking; only then doing so, now retouching – it would be fine with me. Things have changed since my study years. Musical instruments have the taxonomical difference against biological species of missing DNA (for a shorthand example), so classification is quite consensus dependent (as is Wikipedia). Hornbostel–Sachs is fine, but there are other schemes (purposes). I would read such change as a conscious move of perspective nearer to “passive” ends of the musing human spectrum – and think it fine. No ticket needed.

I was explicitly talking about Hornbostel-Sachs though.

I could go into about different classification systems and how I am working on learning and understanding them and trying to co-ordinate them into a logical unity as well as that it’s beneficial to at-least base oneself on established systems when going forward, but maybe i should cool my head first 😅

Yea no. If I say I want a ticket so that it has paperwork, I can put it in my work-schedule and we can point to it and have people outside of the thread in question comment on it, then YES a ticket is needed.

1 Like