Classical style questions

Should the original German name be in single quotes or double quotes?

(I’m assuming the English title should be in double quotes, per the style guide: Style / Classical / Language / English - MusicBrainz. I’m also assuming that I should include the English name in parentheses and double quotes as part of the track title.)

For dashes between tempo markings, is there a standard punctuation that we use (e.g., em-dash, en-dash, hyphen-minus, etc.)? I’ve just been using (space)-(hyphen-minus)-(space) for this release (e.g., Symphony no. 7 in A major, op. 92: I. Poco sostenuto - Vivace).

IMG_20200715_083708

The style guide says to make no. lowercase, but it seems odd to have “4 Mazurkas, op. 6: no. 1 in F-sharp minor” instead of “4 Mazurkas, op. 6: No. 1 in F-sharp minor”. Which should I use after a colon?

Thanks!

Since the rest of that track title is in English, I would just follow the English rules and keep the quotation marks consistent. If you’d mix German and English quotation marks it would look a bit weird: Overture in C major, op. 115 „Zur Namensfeier“ (“Name Day Celebration”)

I use an en-dash as a separator (with spaces around it), a hyphen minus just looks so puny and inadequate (on the other hand em-dashes look like overcompensation). But most people don’t have the en-dash in a convenient place on their keyboards, so I wouldn’t go so far as to demand its use.

It’s OK to write No. with a capital after a colon. The basic rule is that classical titles use sentence case, and in English it is common to start with a capital after a colon. Note that in other languages a colon is not followed with a capital.

2 Likes

En dash is conventional for binding a span, but watch out with the text parser which curiously has is as separator, pushing the latter part into next field: With your example parsed, the result will be a movement ‘Poco sostenuto’ by composer ‘Vivace’ (and ‘Beethoven’, disqualified as duration, is promptly kicked out). One might wonder why. I parse things with puny minus, swapping in en dashes afterwards track by track.

1 Like

As a German I can only say we don’t use single quotes. From my gut feeling I would also only use quotation marks once, like so:

“Zur Namensfeier” (name day celebration)

if the part in parenthesis is meant as a translation of the official title.