Changing order of artists (or inserting composer at top of list)

My understanding is that for classical works, the composer should be listed first in the “artist” field for the release group and release. This recommendation is frequently not followed. Correcting it, however, seems to be time consuming, as I can find no way to insert (prepend?) the composer to a preexisting list of artists. In order to get the composer in the first position, a new blank entry needs to be made and every artist reentered to shift them down.

Am I missing something obvious here?

No - that’s the way I’ve done it in the past. I don’t usually find it a big issue since in most cases that means resetting one or two artists only anyway, but it can be annoying if you have an album with a lot of artists listed (although at some point it’s worth considering if those should be credited as composer and biggest performer names only)

OK, that’s what I figured. I wonder if someone clever could make a userscript, but maybe it’s too much of a niche case.

This custom is incomprehensible to me. Today nobody can listen to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Sebastian Bach, or Ludwig van Beethoven. There is no recording existing of their performances.
Listening to a piano sonata it is of utmost importance to me whether it is played by Maria Joao Pires, Wilhelm Kempf, or Glenn Gould. The composer has written the music but has nothing to do with the performance.
Is something played on the piano I am looking for Glenn Gould. He is my favourite pianist for some years now. Taking a look into my charts, Glenn Gould is hard to be found. There is a lot of Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven. From my point of view this is outrageous or preposterous. Nobody would seriously say, the song “Get the Party Started” is a Linda Perry song. No, it is a song from P!nk but the composer is Linda Perry. She has written the music but the song is what it is only because of P!nk. She brought it to our ears!

Interesting. Not at all the way I organize things. I typically have an idea of what I want to listen to first (not “I want to listen to Glenn Gould” but “I want to listen to The Goldberg Variations” and then decide the performer). But I can see why you might prefer that.

Anyway, the question wasn’t whether or not the convention should be changed. I’d say that’s a debate for another thread.

2 Likes

Interesting perspective but exactly opposite of my listening flow for Classical. It does match my listening for Jazz though, I never look for Oscar Hammerstein composition , always look for a recording artist.

Ideally we should have both, ability to start selection by either composer or by a recording artist.

1 Like

There is a plugin for Picard that lets you select how music is tagged. It then covers this situation that we all have different ways of selecting our music.

Many classical releases omit the composer, or have the composer placed in the wrong position in the artist list. In order to bring them into compliance with the style guide, the composer needs to be put first in the artist list – but there is no way (that I know of) to insert an artist at the top of the list. All the artists need to be reentered to make room for a new one at the top. Is there anyway to make this simplier?

5 Likes
2 Likes