Can't save files after they have been identifed and metadata correctly added

I’m on a Centos 7 system, Picard version 1.4.2. I’m getting the following error when trying to save files after they have been updated with the corrected metadata and cover art. This only happens some times though. most times it works just fine.

E: 14:41:01 Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/picard/util/thread.py”, line 46, in run
result = self.func()
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/picard/file.py”, line 210, in _save_and_rename
self._save(old_filename, metadata)
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/picard/formats/id3.py”, line 420, in _save
self._save_tags(tags, encode_filename(filename))
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/picard/formats/id3.py”, line 524, in _save_tags
tags.update_to_v23()
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/picard/formats/mutagenext/compatid3.py”, line 72, in update_to_v23
super(CompatID3, self).update_to_v23()
AttributeError: ‘super’ object has no attribute ‘update_to_v23’

I’ve poked around a bit and can’t find anything that looks useful. I’ve also tried to write the files to a much shorter directory path which does not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, this is a packaging bug by whoever built the Picard package you’re using. The update_to_v23 method was introduced in mutagen 1.22, but CentOS 7 ships mutagen 1.20. Picard 1.4.2 lists mutagen 1.22 as a dependency. This can’t work.

If you do not need ID3 v2.3 tags (some audio devices/software might need that version - if you’re unsure, test it on 1 or 2 files and see if all your players can still play them and display metadata correctly), you can test switching to 2.4 (Options -> Tags -> ID3) to avoid the error.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that specific issue, but I note that you’re using a long outdated version of Picard. Unless there is some reason that you can’t upgrade, I suggest that you move to the latest version (currently 2.6.2).

2 Likes

@ronch808 Unfortunately if it is a bug in 1.4.2 it is highly unlikely to be fixed.

Please advise whether you are on a 32- or 64-bit version of Centos, and explain where you got Picard from and the type of package you have - and hopefully someone with more Linux knowledge than I will still try to help you.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know the system is somewhat outdated at this point. The version came from the Centos 7 repo. There is no update in the repo. Since there seems to be some issues with using snap to install an updated version of Picard I’ve been having issues upgrading. I’ll work on figuring out how to update Picard. That seem to be the best possible way forward. I’ll start searching around for an updated RPM which should allow me to update. I’m not locked into any particular version. Picard works great for my use and I really want to give thanks to all of you who supporting it.

I’ll get back if I’m still having problems. Thanks so much again for your help.

3 Likes